Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Trio Bulgarka

From: bbs.sleeples@goonsquad.spies.com
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1992 14:59:34 GMT
Subject: Trio Bulgarka
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@wiretap.spies.com

Thought that I'd fill you in on the Trio Bulgarka... you ask where they
are from, huh??? ( Boy are you going to feel embarrassed...)  The Trio
Bulgarka are from Bulgarka, or as we know it, Bulgaria.  Kate was not the
first "popular" musician to notice them, and they are commonly sampled
for dance mixes, etc.. The first domestic record label to actually
break this form of music successfully was Electra/Nonesuch, I believe,
with the Albu"Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares", which was promoted very
intelligently through a lot of very ecclectic radio stations, from New
Age to Jazz to College Alternative.  What was surprizing was the great
critical acclaim that the album found from all formats and the great word
of mouth acclaim.  The material on the "Mystere" recordings was recorded
by the entire Women's Choir of Sophia, and the Trio Bulgarka are three of
the primary vocalists that have done independent recording from the
rest of the chorus. As to why Kate picked recording with the Trio as
opposed to the whole chorus, I woulld write that off to economics..

The history of this type of music stems back many hundreds of years from
various sections of the greater Bulgarian and Macedonian area, and they
are essentially folk songs. Bulgarian folk music is noticably different
between one section of Bulgaria and another, and has been influenced from
many of the surrounding cultures. During the '50's, I believe, the
government of Bulgaria really created the Chorus as we know it today, in
an attempt to protect the then dissappearing traditional folk music and
culture. The person most responsible for the success of the chorus was
Phillip Koetev, who was the first conductor.  The chorus soon became a
regular addition to Radio Sophia.  Koetev took the early folk material
and expanded on it, creating a form of music that was uniquely different
from the simple peasant's folk songs, but still just as vital, alive and
culturally important.  Several of the recordings from the 50's have been
re-released, but I suspect there were a few imported vinyl recordings of
this material.

Today, both the whole Women's Chorus and the Trio tour regularly, and
have played across the country to large, sold out crowds. The Trio
Bulgarka are: Yanka Rupkina, Stoyanka Boneva, and Eva Georgieva. I would
reccomend that if you are interested in their music, you first get "Le
Mystere des Voix Bulgares", as it is easiest to order and still probably
the best recording available.

Limitted Discography - there are more recordings than these. Can someone
add any other additions???
"Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares" Electra/Nonesuch
"Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares, Vol. II"  Electra/Nonesuc
"Music of Bulgaria" Electra/Nonesuch
"The Mysterious Voices of Bulgaria" Laserlight
"Balkana: The Music of Bulgaria" Hannibal
"The Trio Bulgarka: The Forest is Crying" Hannibal

I would also reccomend a San Francisco bay area chorus called Kitka, as
they have recorded a very good collection of traditional European folk,
including lots of Bulgarian folk songs. They are having a concert soon at
the Flint Center, I believe, for Amnesty International.  To contact Kitka
for information on their album, the adress is:
Kitka
2501 Harrison Street,
Oakland, CA 94612
(415) 549-3313