Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: mit900@cscgpo.anu.edu.au (Mark I Turner)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 92 09:03:18 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: mit900@huxley.anu.edu.au (Mark I Turner)

--

I assumed Kate had recorded herself singing 'We let
the weirdness in' backwards (i.e. 'ni senndriew eht tel ew'!),
presumably after practicing by listening to a backwards tape of
the lyric sung normally.  Reversing a tape of herself singing
backwards makes the lyrics forwards again,
except that they sound, ahem, weird. They have the aural
characteristics of speech played backwards, but with (just)
understandable meaning.

I've actually done the above (idiot, eh!),
and with a bit of practice you can actually say
things backwards yourself that are quite clear when
recorded and the tape is reversed.  Usually you have
to listen to a reversed tape of yourself saying the words
normally - just saying the words backwards as they appear on
paper ('ni senndriew eht tel ew') doesn't work to well!

I have a digitiser that can record short segments of a CD
and play them back in perfect reverse time.  I'll see if
I can pick up anything when the end of Leave it Open is
played backwards, and post the results.

Anyway, however it was done, it sure is effective!

Mark

Mark Turner
Network and Technical Services
Australian National University
PH:  (06) 249 0321
FAX: (06) 247 3425
Email:  Mark.Turner@anu.edu.au

Miller's Axiom:  Internetworks, by nature are exceedingly complex.
When they work, they are marvels of engineering.  When they fail,
you are in BIG trouble.