Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Gordon Locke <glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 92 12:12:21 -0230
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Gordon Locke  )
Subject: Re: End of "Leave it Open" (was: "Sat in Your Lap")
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1992 14:42:17 GMT

In article <1arodhINN3f9@iraul1.ira.uka.de> sd@ira.uka.de (Sven Doerr) writes:
>In article <9209291834.AA02114@relay1.UU.NET>, Deb Wentorf writes:

>Interesting: forwards it really sounds like "We let the weirdness in".
>I didn't realize this since I was so certain it is backwards. And
>I still believe it is ! Played backwards, Kates voice is _much_clearer_
>as forwards. The "lyrics" go (bw.) something like:
>    and / they / said / they / wont / really / hear
>        /      / sent / them / on a / weary  / here
>        /      / sat  /      / want / very   /
>but I cannot get them exactly. Perhaps there are even two slightly
>different versions. Or - theory? - while the music plays, it is
>forwards, and at the very end it is backwards, this way conditioning
>the listener for what he has to hear on the following backwards
>lines (and in my case: vice versa).
>Maybe someone else wants to try to turn his record-player backwards
>by hand, or can fool his dual head (autoreverse) cassette-recorder
>to play the other track, as I did, what gives a convincing result.
>

>+------------++---------------+
>| Sven Doerr || sd@ira.uka.de |
>+------------++---------------+
	I played the vocals in qquestion backwards by recording to a
reel-to-reel and "switching" the reels on the player.  This results also
in a reversed stereo image, but I got to hear what I had also _assumed_
were backwrds-recorded lyrics.  I agree -- they sound much more
discernible when played back in this manner.  I could never hear "We let
the wierdness in" before someone posted it here.  Although _what_
exactly it sounds like backwards, I'm still not sure.  The closest I
could come to discerning them was: "And they said they were very real
..." or something like the previous poster suggested.

	The reason I tried that in the first place was because a guy I
knew who read r.m.gaffa regularly told me there was some sort of
contest, where the winner was whoever could send in the correct answer.
I got the impression that it was a Kate-sanctioned thing.  Is/was this
true?

	Even though this "guy" I'm referring to told me of the gaffa
newsgroup about two years ago, it's only moow that I've gotten around to
posting for the first time.  It took me a while to get an account here
with the university, and then I had to figure out the editor.  I've been
reading the posts here for about a year, and I love reading discuccion
on things Kate-related.  (Excuse spelling errors -- I've obviously
_still_ not figured out vi.)  Anyway, now that I've gotten the idea, I
look forward to actually participating in the worldwide KateFan
community!!  Feel free to e-mail me with thoughts / discussion about any
aspect of her music / revelation / whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

	- Gord (but you can call me glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca

	"Let's exchange the experience ..."