Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori query (who's Neil?)

From: cole@lea.csc.ncsu.edu (Robert Cole)
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1992 18:12:18 -0700
Subject: Re: Tori query (who's Neil?)
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@ncsu.edu (USENET News System)

n_k_guy@sfu.ca (Commander Bob's Burger Bar) writes:

> Anyone out there happen to know who Neil is? As in "Neil says hi by
>the way" and "hi Neil" from _Tear in your hand_. She also seems to
>sing "Neil" twice at the end of _Little Earthquakes_. (maybe I'm
>imagining things...)

In a recent issue of "The Sandman" (number 41) -- a DC comic -- lyrics
were used from a Tori Amos song.  This bit was then printed at the end
of the letters page:

"The song lyrics on Pages 9 and 10 are from "Tear In My Hand," from the
album "Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos.  Copyright (C) 1991 Warner Music
UK Ltd.  Published by Sword in the Stone.  Used by permission.  Hi
Tori."

Neil Gaiman is the writer for "The Sandman".

If you look at the lyrics for "Tear In Your Hand":

"If you need me, me and neil'll be hangin' out with the DREAM KING Neil
says hi by the way"

And for the song credits:

"Ranz -- Sandman Comic Supplier, hi Neil"

The title character of "The Sandman" is Morpheus, the Dream King.

I think that just about explains it (except for the mixup with "in my"
and "in your" in the song title).

I'm unsure if Neil and Tori know each other personally.  Ranz is given
special thanks, so perhaps Tori was introduced to "The Sandman" by Ranz
and doesn't actually know Neil.

By the way, the lyrics that made it into the comic are:

"All the world just stopped now, so you say you don't wanna stay
together anymore, let me take a deep breath babe..."

and

"Cutting my hands every time I touch you"

The line that follows "take a deep breath babe" is the one that refers
to Neil and the Dream King.

It's a nice inside joke for those in the know.

Robert G. Cole