Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Heard new Peter Gabriel tonight...

From: Vickie Mapes <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 92 2:34:06 EDT
Subject: Heard new Peter Gabriel tonight...
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Part of one song, anyway. I don't know the name of it, or if it is
definitely going to be on the new album. We were at the SIGGRAPH '92
"Electronic Theater" where, for the most part, the best of the best
of the previous year's computer graphics' pieces (art, scientific
simulation, advertising) were shown.

An art piece called "Liquid Selves" was shown and the music was new
Peter Gabriel. It was only 2:15 long, too bad, because the visuals were
great and the song was great! I have no idea if this is intended to be
part of the video for the song (assuming it might be released as a single)
or if Peter wrote the music especially for the visuals. We'll find out
soon enough, if there is a song on the new album called "Liquid Selves."

The music was very percussive, reminiscent of the _Security_ days, while
the vocals and vocal style is very reminiscent of _So_, a la "Mercy Street."

In the program, this piece is credited to Karl Sims ("Produced by") if
that name rings a bell with anyone. No other credits are given in the
program, not even Peter's name. The credits after the peice went by too
fast to register anything except Peter's name.

In the program, it says "Most of these peices are available for purchase
as SIGGRAPH Video review Issues #81 & #82. Within USA 1-800-523-5503,
Outside USA 1-708-250-0807"

Note the word "Most" above. For some reason I suspect that Peter's peice
will *not* be available, but it certainly doesn't hurt to call, which we
certainly will.

For those with doubts, I've been a Peter Gabriel fan since 1973 and we
are *very* familiar with Peter's recorded (um, and bootleg) output. I even
took a Walkman to _Till the End of the World_ to record Peter's song,
since it's not on the soundtrack. This song tonight is most definitely
new, never-before-heard, Peter Gabriel.

Chinet is down and I can't post to newsgroups. Could someone please pass
this post along to rec.music.misc? Thanks!

Vickie