Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Batman, The Ninth Wave, misc

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1992 18:30:14 -0700
Subject: Batman, The Ninth Wave, misc
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        Saw Batman Returns today.  I give it three and a half Kate Bush
symbols out of four possible, which is better then the original that got
three KT symbols.  Catwoman has the most interesting way of moving since,
well you know...

        Thanks to Neil for his eagle eye on Kate's expected appearance on
TV, I hope you'll have your VCR ready.

        Sam Warren asked about _the_ninth_wave_.  I found your
interpretaion of Kate entering another dimension interesting, can you
elaborate.  There has been much speculation as to whether or not Kate
intended the woman to die, which has finally been laid to rest with the
interview from last year.  Her are some quotes on the subjects you asked
about:

        Will you ever release your visual interpretation of the concept
piece, The Ninth Wave?
        There was never a visual piece made to The Ninth Wave,
unfortunately.  It was something that I'd hoped to do, and, the whole of
that side had been made very much with a film in mind.  I was too
exhausted, really, by the time it came to actually having a chance to
make it, but I would very much like to make a film of some kind, one day.
 If it takes me longer than my albums I'm in big trouble, I think!
        [Laughter from audience]
        But I just love the combination of film and music.  I think when
it works, it's so powerful.  And also it's nice working with big groups
of people because when I make an album it's quite isolating, you really
only deal with small numbers of people at a time, and when you're making
a video there's maybe up to forty people, so it - it's very exciting for
me.  Uh, thank you.   (1990 Kate Bush Con)

*       ...a journey for a woman asleep on the water:  There are people
trying to keep her awake and not let her fall asleep ["And Dream of
Sheep"]. Then she falls asleep and has a dream -- but wakes up from the
dream only to find herself underwater ['Under Ice'].  And then she has
hallucinations where people are saying 'Wake up, wake up, don't sleep
anymore,' and trying to get her out of the water.  Except a witch finder
pushes her right under because he assumes she's a witch ['Waking the
Witch'].  Soon she travels home and sees her loved ones but they can't
see her ['Watching You Without Me'] and hopefully it all leads to the
hope and salvation of the morning ['The Morning Fog'] where everything
comes to life again.  The sense of loneliness is taken over by the sense
of someone saving them.   (1985, Pulse)

*       At this point in the story, it's the future self of this person
coming to visit them to give them a bit of help here.  I mean, it's about
time they have a bit of help.  So it's there future self saying, "look,"
you know, "don't give up, you've got to stay alive, 'cause if you don't
stay alive, that means I don't."  You know, "and I'm alive, I've had kids
[laughs].  I've been through years and years of life, so you have to
survive, you mustn't give up."   (1991, Classic Albums)

*       Well, that's really meant to be the rescue of the whole
situation, where now suddenly out of all this darkness and weight comes
light.  You know, the weightiness is gone and here's the morning, and
it's meant to feel very positive and bright and uplifting from the rest
of dense, darkness of the previous track.  And although it doesn't say
so, in my mind this was the song where they were rescued, where they get
pulled out of the water.  And it's very much a song of seeing
perspective, of really, you know, of being so grateful for everything
that you have, that you're never grateful of in ordinary life because you
just abuse it totally.  And it was also meant to be one of those kind of
"thank you and goodnight" songs.  You know, the little finale where
everyone does a little dance and then the bow and then they leave the
stage.  [laughs]   (1991, Classic Albums)

        This last quote is the one that settled the issue, though Kate
always makes it clear that people are welcome to there own
interpretations.

        So are we back up now???? :-)

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)