Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Nearly Tori on TV...

From: ml@vcp1.vcp.monash.edu.au
Date: Sun, 24 May 1992 20:06:21 -0700
Subject: Re: Nearly Tori on TV...
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Usenet system)

G'day,

In article <67584@apple.Apple.COM>, PHS404G@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
> In article <67310@apple.Apple.COM>, dombkins graham gr@ITMEL.BHP.bhpmel02.telememo.au (Dombkins Graham GR) writes:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>

>>     Last night I was flicking around through the channels and caught an add for
>> the "Tonight Live" show on 7. The add said that they would be talking to Tori
>> Amos (along with stunning picture of her) that night! So I wait up video in hand
>> and suffer through the whole thing... NO Tori Amos!!!
>>

>>     When I rang them today they said she was ment to be on but pulled out in the
>> last minute. Damm...
>>

> You know, I actually went to be part of the audience at this show, and needless
> to say was *extremely* disappointed when i found Tori wasn't going to be on. I
> found out when i got there because a friend of mine works on Tonight Live
> organizing guests and so on. Anyway, the penthouse pet of the year was on so it
> wasn't a complete loss :)
>
> Seriously though, we decided to go back last friday night when we knew she
> would be on, and it was just incredible. Tori came out in these flared jeans
> through all the smoke that the studio guys had set up, and sat at her piano
> and began to sing...it was one of the most amazing performances i've seen...
> so much emotion ...and that voice! She did a lot of breathing into the mic
> between lyrics, which made you feel very close to her...like hmmm...it reminded
> me in a way of the start of "This woman's work". Oh, by the way, the song she
> played was "Winter" (Is that right? I dont have the album yet).

Well, I saw this on television, and I have to admit, she is very good:  she
certainly puts a lot of drama into her songs.  I wouldn't call it the most
amazing performance I have ever seen (that goes to Christy Moore!!! - but how I
would love to see Nurset Fateh Ali Khan, live!) but it is certainly ONE of the
best.

I normally don't watch 'Tonight Live' because I can't stand Steve Vizard, but
on Fridays, comedian Richard Stubbs hosts the show and he is a treat!  What the
above forgot to mention that Stubbsy did have a little chat with Tori after the
song:  apparently she has been touring since OCTOBER!  She strikes me as a very
serious person and is cautious when humour is introduced into the conversation.
(but then Stubbsy is a bit of a galah, and that usually puts any unaquainted
American off guard).

Alas, I think Tori is in Australia strictly for a promotional tour (and an
occasional sing).  If she'll have a concert here, I will definately go.

> The guy i went with brought his Tori Amos CD along and gave it to my friend to
> get signed...and she signed it all right. She wrote
>

>        Dave....much love...Tori Amos
>

> Lucky bastard! :)

Agreed.  Imagine if it was Kate Bush or enya autographing a CD!!!  Angeles...

> anyway, I'm a convert!

Not quite, for me.  But she is interesting.

>   Greg

Cheers,
Mik.

*    Mik Lipcsey, Computer Systems Officer, Victorian College of Pharmacy,    *
*         Monash University, 381 Royal Parade, Parkville, Australia.          *
* Aarnet:  ml@vcp.monash.edu.au  *  'Open the Pod Bay Door, please, HAL' 2001 *
* I am home, I know the way,             \_____---- 'Evening falls...' (1988) *
* I am home, feeling, oh, so far away... /                   Roma Ryan & Enya *
* For so great a treasure, words will never do... ---------- 'Angeles' (1991) *