Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Talk Talk (Was: Re: Review of Sarah McLachlan's SF Concert)

From: Faux Joe <cutter@silver.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1992 14:32:25 -0700
Subject: Talk Talk (Was: Re: Review of Sarah McLachlan's SF Concert)
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu

In article <67429@apple.Apple.COM> jdi@Franz.COM (John D. Irwin) writes:

>In article <66646@apple.Apple.COM> ez003338@rocky.ucdavis.edu (Tara) writes:
>>She then sang the first cover of the show--Talk Talk's "So
>>Far America," which deserved a lot more attention than it
>>received.
>

>Huh?  I was there (and one of the six or seven people in the audience who
>responded when she asked if anyone was into Talk Talk) and she definitely
>sang something from "The Colour Of Spring".  I think it was "Life's What
>You Make It."

Well, if she didn't introduce it, and the person posting didn't know
the titles of Talk Talk songs, I could see how her singing the mumbled
"Lifeswhachoomakeit" get corrupted, sorta.  Anyway, there's no Talk
Tal song called "So Far America" that I know of on The Party's Over,
It's My Life, The Colour of Spring, Sprit of Eden, or Laughing Stock.

>Speaking of Talk Talk, does anyone know if they've done anything recently?
>TCOS is one of my all time favourite albums, but their followup album was
>way too weird for me.  (The one with the tree on it, I haven't looked at or
>listened to it in so long I forget the title).

Both SoE and LS have trees on the cover, but I assume you mean Soe.
One man's weird is another man's gorgeous; I personally nearly cried
the first time I listened to SoE, it was so eerie, and moody, and
charged with some weird otherworldy essence.  But, as they say, IMHO.

There was a "greatest hits" compilation, I think.  There was also some
sort of dance-remix album that was done without the band's consent,
and a legal row followed, as usual.

After SoE, I think it was pretty obvious that Hollis and Friese-Green
wee NOT gonna do another "Dum Dum Girl" ever again.  That phase of the
band is definately over, and I don't compare SoE/LS to what came
before.

/joe

"the sweetest girl in all the world, how could she do this to me?"