Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: News admin <news@sco.COM>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1992 16:48:06 -0700
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: jondr@sco.COM (Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic)
Subject: Re: The Orb
Date: Thu, 21 May 1992 23:48:01 GMT
Sender: news@sco.com (News admin)

I am not I_SW@zis.ziff.com (Sam Warren).  I didn't say:
>To the person who wrote in about Minnie Ripperton on The Orb album -

that's me.

>Thanks a lot for sharing this information.  I bought the album, and I think
>it's great.  BUT, I don't hear samplings of Minnie ANYWHERE.  You said
>something about a 20 minute version.  Well, the one I have is only 7 minutes.

you have:

Aubrey Mixes: The Ultraworld Excursions

whereas the correct album to buy is called

Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

>Strange thing, when I bought it (used), there was a sticker on the outside that
>said "CD is Aubrey mixes".  So I asked what that meant and the guy told me that
>the cover was the wrong one.  This was not the album itself, but rather a disc
>of remixes (by this guy named Aubrey) of songs on the album.  Maybe this would
>explain why Minnie's voice doesn't appear?

I don't know about you getting a disc with the wrong cover, but I guess
anything is possible.  The remix disc has some good stuff, but the version
of A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain is devoid of Minnie Ripperton
samples, I believe.  Incidentally, "aubrey" had nothing to do with the
remixes.  They were done by:

Little Fluffy Clouds -> Pal Joey
Back Side Of The Moon -> Steve Hillage
Spanish Castles In Space -> Youth (yeah, the same one who played bass on
                   "The Big Sky" - how's that for tenuous Kate content?)
Huge Ever Growing Brain -> Cauty/Paterson
Perpetual Dawn -> The Orb

I don't know why the damn thing is called The Aubrey Mixes.  Really.

>Have you seen the 20 minute version on CD?

Yeah.  On the "Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld" album.  It's actually more
like 18+ minutes, but who's counting...

>Does this group have any other albums?

Not really.  There's a "Peel Sessions" disc which has three tracks on it
(including "Brain"), but these are not new songs - just more remixes.

There's supposedly a new album called U.F.Orb coming out Real Soon Now.

I can't wait.

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Homing in on the inner sanctum of the out-take.