Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wuthering Heights a cappella

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Sat, 16 May 1992 05:49:48 -0700
Subject: Wuthering Heights a cappella
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Hi!

From:	jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)

>Actually, the man's name is Sonny Sharrock, and the album is _Highlife_.  I've
>only found the CD for sale once, and it was quite expensive.

>>Anybody else heard this track?  Did you recognize the Kate theme?

>A surprising number have heard this track now, thanks to woj, who
>included it on the "Happy Gift Project," a compilation tape that the
>Ecto mailing list made as a holiday present for Happy Rhodes.  Also
>included on that compilation (immediately following "Kate") is an
>a capella version of "Wuthering Heights" by a vocal group.  The "theme"
>is quite clear in that version as well, due to the fact that near the
>end of the song, it is picked up by the majority of the singers.  Cool
>stuff.

I'll tell them you like it, Jeff- they'll be psyched.  :)

And to answer Fiona's question:

>In a message in Fri.'s digest (sorry, I'm not sophisticated enough computer-
>wise to "capture" messages) there was mention of a gift tape for Happy
>Rhodes which included an a capella choir's version of "Wuthering Heights".
>Just out of curiosity, who was the choir and is this version available
>on disc? Kate Bush gets covered so rarely that it would be interesting
>to hear someone else's version of one of her songs.

The group is the New Group, a coed a cappella student group here at Wesleyan.
One of the leaders of the group, Ginger McManus, is a fan of Kate and wanted to
do a Katesong, and chose "Wuthering Heights".  Ginger's voice is good enough to
hit the range, and she arranged it quite well, considering how tough the song
is as far as rhythms go and all.

Until yesterday the only version I had heard of recorded was the live version I
put on the tape- it was made by one of the members of the group and loaned to
me for three days so I could copy it (my reputation as a Katefan preceded me,
no kidding :).  But yesterday Valerie Nozick, whose reputation as a Katefan
precedes her as well,  was sent a copy of their official studio compilation
called _Old Hat_, containing studio versions of PG's "Mercy Street", Laurie
Anderson's "Ramon", and "Wuthering Heights", among other things.  It's an
excellent tape, and I'm going to try to get a copy of it even though I don't
think it's officially going on sale until next semester.

One major improvement on the tape over the live version is the "ghost", i.e.
the woman who sings the guitar part at the end of the song.  Live she just sang
la-la-las, but on the tape she sings "let me have it, let me grab your soul
away, ooh, Cathy" to the guitar line- it's great.

I think I can get copies of the tape for people who are interested, I'll post
info as soon as I get it, if I do.
  |Meredith Tarr                      "Get to the point you sappy wimps|
  |Wesleyan University                 I haven't got a lifetime        |
  |Middletown, CT                      Simplicity is beauty            |
  |USA, Earth                          Are there poets less sublime?"  |
  |mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu                            -Happy Rhodes   |