Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Paul Simon...NOT!! (Was Kirsty MacColl...NOT!!)

From: kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1992 20:54:25 -0700
Subject: Re: Paul Simon...NOT!! (Was Kirsty MacColl...NOT!!)
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

anarchyoutopia <ukevc@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu> writes:
>Does K mC's song start "I was twentyone years when i wrote this song,
>and I'm 22 now but I won't be for long. people.... " etc ?

The Billy Bragg song starts:
>I was twentyone years when i wrote this song,
>I'm 22 now but I won't be for long
>People ask me when will you grow up to be a man

The Paul Simon song starts:
>"I was 21 years when I wrote this song
> I'm 22 now but I won't be for long
> Time hurries on

The key thing here is the first word of the third line.  Billy says "people"
and Paul says "Time".  Since the original quote (above) has the third line
starting with "People" I can only assume that she is talking about the Billy
Bragg song.

Michael

--
Michael Kaufman | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on
 kaufman        | fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in