Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Juliana Hatfield and In Concert

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Sat, 16 May 1992 05:51:05 -0700
Subject: Juliana Hatfield and In Concert
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Hi!

Andrew writes:
>BTW has anyone heard of Julianna Hatfield, I realize that she is the
>antithesis of beautiful music, but she has some of the most honest
>and compelling song about the down side of love I've ever heard.

Juliana Hatfield used to be the lead singer for Blake Babies.  If you like her
solo album, _Hey Babe_, you'll probably like Blake Babies too, since a lot of
it sounds just like her stuff with the group.  It's fun music, good for summer
driving. :)

tneely@mwc.vak12ed.edu (Thomas F. Neely) writes:

> As of today (5/14/92), I'm surprised that there has not been
> any discussion in the digest of the Sarah McClachlan appearance
> on "In Concert" last Friday, brief though it was.  For someone
> like me who has only heard audio recordings it was a nice
> opportunity, and I was impressed with the little bit that
> appeared.  I screamed at the TV, of course, when they didn't
> choose to show even one song in its entirety, but whatcha gonna
> do...  It caused me to want to see her live even more.  I
> appreciate being alerted to the event here in the digest.
> Please keep it up.

I too saw this show- I stayed up until 3AM to do it, but it was worth it, I
think. :)  I still can't figure out why the hell they put tidbits on Enya and
Sarah in the middle of a show featuring Kenny Loggins, but there must be a
reason.

It was the first chance I'd had to see what Enya looks like- wow.  I had also
never seen her videos, and I was greatly impressed by the _Midsummers Night's
Dream_ quality of the one that wasn't "Orinoco Flow".  It was neat.  She had
interesting things to say, too- I didn't know she doesn't write her lyrics!

As for Sarah, I am now bound and determined to see her in concert when she
comes back this way in July.  Dammit.

The other thing I noticed was they didn't even show Kenny Loggins' songs in
their entirety, and it was pretty much his show!  This doesn't bode well for
Tori, should they actually feature her- there's plenty of good bits they'll cut
out.  Like "boy you'd best pray that I bleed real soon, how's that thought for
ya?" and "so you can make me come, that doesn't make you Jesus".   They're
outta there.  Just a prediction...
  |Meredith Tarr                      "Get to the point you sappy wimps|
  |Wesleyan University                 I haven't got a lifetime        |
  |Middletown, CT                      Simplicity is beauty            |
  |USA, Earth                          Are there poets less sublime?"  |
  |mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu                            -Happy Rhodes   |