Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Thu, 14 May 1992 21:18:06 -0700
Subject: Re: Kate
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Sam Warren writes:

>A friend recently lent me a CD with a track on it called "Kate".  It is
>explained in the (all-too-brief) liner notes as "variations on a theme by Kate
>Bush".  Well, I listened and listened and listened, but was unable to place
>the theme by Kate.  Nice music, though.

The theme is from "Wuthering Heights."  Listen to the chord progression
in the background during the chorus of the song.  The same theme is used
at the end of "Wuthering Heights," slightly...um...faster? fuller?  Different,
in any event.  This is the theme that is adopted in "Kate" and is quite
clear near the end of the track.

>The CD is by Sonny Shirrock.  It was released in 1990 (I think).  I can't
>remember the title of the album, but if anybody really wants to know, I could
>ask my friend.

Actually, the man's name is Sonny Sharrock, and the album is _Highlife_.  I've
only found the CD for sale once, and it was quite expensive.

>Anybody else heard this track?  Did you recognize the Kate theme?

A surprising number have heard this track now, thanks to woj, who
included it on the "Happy Gift Project," a compilation tape that the
Ecto mailing list made as a holiday present for Happy Rhodes.  Also
included on that compilation (immediately following "Kate") is an
a capella version of "Wuthering Heights" by a vocal group.  The "theme"
is quite clear in that version as well, due to the fact that near the
end of the song, it is picked up by the majority of the singers.  Cool
stuff.

Jeff