Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori vs. Kate

From: Craig Heath <craig%sware.com@mathcs.emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1992 11:30:31 -0700
Subject: Re: Tori vs. Kate
To: love-hounds%wiretap.spies.com

Dirk Kasten wrote:

> Why should Tori sing a Kate song??

Well, first of all, I didn't say she _should_, just that I'd love to
see it.  Obviously, I'd prefer to see Kate perform a Kate song live,
but based on what I saw and heard this week, it seems to me that seeing
Tori perform a Kate song live would be the next best thing.

Now that we've cleared that up, and since you did ask for a justification
of why she _should_, it seems to me that a popular reason for artists
doing cover versions is as a tip of the hat to their influences.  No
amount of argument, violence or anything else is going to convince me
that Kate isn't a major influence on Tori's new style.  I think it
would be appropriate for her to acknowledge that.

> The only incentive to perform another writer's song is to be touched
> by the lyrics or if the song reminds you of a certain situation or
> time.

She does covers of the Stones and Zep because she loves their songs -
are you asking me to believe she doesn't love any of Kate's songs?

Just to be really clear here, I don't think she should, nor would I
want her to, record a cover of a Kate song.  I just think it would be
a nice gesture, not to say a pleasurable experience for me, if as
one of her live encores she were to perform one of Kate's songs.  OK?

		- Craig.