Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori vs. Kate

From: Dirk <DKASTENS%DOSUNI1.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1992 06:40:14 -0700
Subject: Re: Tori vs. Kate
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

> I'd love to see her perform a Kate song live - she has the voice
> and the stage presence to do it.

Why should Tori sing a Kate song??
I think, it's not a matter of the voice to perform someone else's
songs. Or does Tori have the voice of Mick Jagger (Angie) or
Robert Plant (Thank you, Whole lotta love)?
The only incentive to perform another writer's song is to be touched
by the lyrics or if the song reminds you of a certain situation or
time.
The most interesting cover-versions are those which are totally
different from the original. If Tori sings a Led Zep-song and it
sounds like Tori then it's ok. I don't want Tori to perform a
Kate song or Kate to perform a Tori song.
Does anybody know Siouxsie & The Banshees' "Through The Looking
Glass"? It contains only cover-versions of songs from Iggy Pop
to Kraftwerk! It's brilliant, because each song sounds like a
Siouxsie-song.
Dirk Kastens  -  dkastens@dosuni1.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de