Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@cs.washington.edu (USENET News System)
Date: Thu, 7 May 1992 15:26:19 -0700
To: rec-music-gaffa@cs.washington.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: simmons@cs.washington.edu (David Simmons)
Subject: Re: female vocalists
Sender: news@beaver.cs.washington.edu (USENET News System)
Date: Thu, 7 May 92 22:25:45 GMT

Aside from all of those mentioned in the previous posts, two of my favorites
are Johnette N. of Concrete Blonde, and Linda Thompson.

Although I'm still not used to the new Blonde album, their earlier work
is wonderful -- I'm prticularly fond of _Bloodletting_ and their covers
of "Everybody Knows" and "Little Wing."  Their music is beautifully
intense and emotional.

And some of the most gorgeous music I've heard is the albums of Richard &
Linda Thompson -- lyric guitars, aching melodies, soul-deep poetry sung
with conviction.  Any KaTefan is a prime candidate to fall in love with
_Pour Down Like Silver_, _I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight_, and
_Shoot Out The Lights_.  (Richard's solo albums are excellent as well.)

---Dave Simmons  ||  "And the songs / pour down like silver"