Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: female vocalists

From: KROVETZ@cs.umass.EDU
Date: Thu, 7 May 1992 13:17:00 -0700
Subject: Re: female vocalists
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.COM

I was introduced to Kate's music through a friend around the
time that she appeared on Saturday Night Live.  That same friend
pointed me toward a lot of groups that are still some of my
favorites.  Along with the ones you mentioned, I would add:

   Maddy Prior - the lead singer in Steeleye Span

   Annie Haslam - the lead singer in Renaissance.  She has
                  two solo albums, but her best work is definitely
                  with Renaissance.

   June Tabor  -  her solo work is too depressing for me, but I
                  love the two albums she did with Maddy Prior
                  (Silly Sisters, and No More to the Dance.
                  I also really like the album she did with
                  the Oyster Band (Freedom and Rain).

   Ofra Haza   -  an Israeli singer.  I would recommend Fifty
                  Gates of Wisdom for a traditional sound, and
                  Shaday for a sound that more "world pop".

   Capercaille -  I can't remember who the lead singer is, but
                  her voice is wonderful.

If you like Sandy Denny, you might check out the album Sandy Denny and
the Strawbs (any other Strawbs fans out there?).  I also like Joan
Armatrading, and Marianne Faithful.

Bob

krovetz@cs.umass.edu