Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Queer Positive"

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1992 18:16:50 -0700
Subject: Re: "Queer Positive"
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Ed asks:

>Well, after all this discussion I still don't know exactly what
>"queer positive" means!  So, what DOES it mean?

and then says:

>If it means that someone is supportive of gay rights, and compassionate
>to those with AIDS, then Kate is definitely queer positive.

Yes, this is for the most part what's meant by queer positive, though being
compassionate to those with AIDS isn't necessarily a part of it, as AIDS
is not a "gay disease."  While I would guess that most people who could
be identified as queer positive are compassionate toward PWAs, the converse
is not necessarily true. But yes, KaTe definitely fits in.

However, as I recall, when Ron originally asked, he was asking about
Sarah McLachlan, not KaTe.  And I still haven't heard anything about
Sarah McLachlan.

>If it means that someone IS gay, then there's no evidence that Kate
>is queer positive; in fact she's been living with her boyfriend for
>years.

Um, does it count that I know women who want to get KaTe into bed?  Or
gay men who say they'd go-straight-for-Kate?  ;-)

Jeff