Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Queer Positive"

From: buckmr@rpi.edu (Ron Buckmire)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1992 15:56:50 -0700
Subject: Re: "Queer Positive"
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

craig%sware.com@mathcs.emory.edu (Craig Heath) writes:

>Judi McKernan writes (to Ron Buckman, but publicly):

>>    "Queer Positive?" Somehow, I find that to be an extreme contradiction in
>> terms. How can it be "positive" when you use such an outdated and degrading
>> term such as QUEER?  Maybe you can explain this to me.....

How bizarre. There must be something wrong with the feed, because I never got
this reply.

Anyway, for all of you uneducated strayt people I will explain that Queer is
a more inclusive term than gay,or gay and lesbian or even gay/lesbian/bisexual.
I felt like using queer instead of the  longer glb term, or even the quaint
lesbigay. I was looking for music that is supportive of people who feel that
people should have equal rights regardless of their sexual orientation. Use of
the word queer is intended to reclaim it from homophobes who try to use it to
bash queers. Even the _New York Times_ has acknowledged the phenomenon of the
use of the word queer to represent the new activists for sexual orientation
equal rights.

Better now? Examples of Queer Positive artists are stil requested to be emailed
to me.

--
RON BUCKMIRE, 11 Colvin Circle, Troy, NY 12180-3735.
vox:(518)-276-8910 fax:(518)-276-6920 buckmr@rpi.edu buckmr@rpitsmts.bitnet