Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Amos / Joyce / Funny lip shape

From: "Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 420-2284, CH2-59" <@hermes.intel.com:AGOUGH@AZ.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1992 13:22:00 -0700
Subject: Amos / Joyce / Funny lip shape
To: Love-Hounds@eddie.mit.EDU

>From:	ez003338@rocky.ucdavis.edu (Tara)
>Subject: Review of Tori Amos' _Little Earthquakes_
>Date:	Wed, 22 Apr 1992 20:44:07 -0700
>
>This appeared today in my school's newspaper, _The California Aggie_.  I
>though people might be interested in seeing it, so...
>
>TORI AMOS CREATES BIG, EMOTIONAL EARTHQUAKES
>
>You may have seen her in _Rolling Stone_.  Or heard her on MTV.
>Or on KWOD [a local "modern rock" station].
>
>But you have truly *heard* Tori Amos until you have listened to
>her album, _Little Earthquakes_, over and over again.  The debut
>from this North Carolina discontent will find a cozy, intimate
>nook somewhere in the middle of your heart, and neither
>understanding nor explaining that is going to be easy.
>
>Perhaps it's the way her piano sounds like raindrops in the
>background--light, ethereal and unpretentious behind the thin
>veil of her voice.  Or perhaps it's got something to do with the
>airy, high-altitude quality of her lyrics, the way her poetry
>brushes over critical ideas without so much as a misplaced mild
>preaching.  Or even the melodies of her songs--they are slight,
>inspired, articulate.
>
>But most of all, Tori Amos' work will make you *feel*.  After
>hearing the distanced intimacies of her rich soul, you will want
>to call her by her first name.  It seems impossible that somebody
>whose words breathe through your mind with such familiarity and
>agility is not a member of your family.  A sister, maybe.  Or a
>guardian angel.

The one thing about Tori's songs I haven't seen mentioned yet is the stream-of-
consciousness lyrics.  It's great to have stream-of-consciousness songs!

Now, if we could get Tori to cover "The Sensual World" . . ..

>And of course, "Silent All These Years" cannot go without
>mention.  This is possibly the most accomplished work on the
>album, because it blends Amos' impressionistic vocals with the
>floating lyricism of her piano playing.  Amos' sound has nuances
>of the preternatural quietness of Kate Bush, as well as the
>shapely distillation of her bright harmonies.
>
>"Silent All These Years" opens with one of the most irresistible
>questions in memory--"Excuse me, but can I be you for a while?"
>Amos continues to draw on this thought, pleading for the person
>who causes her pain to see her situation from her point of view.
>"It's your turn now to stand where I stand," she reminds him in
>the last stanza.
>
>- Rosemary A. Peters

This is the song that has the line:

	"I love the way we communicate;
	 your eyes focus on my funny lip shape."

Someone posted a literary reference to the "funny lip shape" phrase last
week.  Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention at the time.  Could
whomever it was please repost the reference?  Thanks.

Regards,
Andy