Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Backmasking in Leave it Open

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1992 08:47:43 -0700
Subject: Re: Backmasking in Leave it Open
To: rec-music-gaffa@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.llnl.gov

In article <65626@apple.Apple.COM> cutter@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Faux Joe) writes:

>The Kick Inside was top-40 back then, fella.  Since then, her
>popularity has been steadily on the wane, no matter how much we raving
>Kate Bush maniacs HATE the thought.  Face it: most Americans only know
>her for that utterly (IMHO) crappy Elton John song.

Now I'm confused about what you mean.  You start off by saying "The
Kick Inside was top-40 back then,"  so I assume your talking about Europe.
That record certainly wasn't top-40 in America!  But you end the paragraph
talking about how Americans know her.  In any case I think both assertions
are wrong.

Kate's popularity has its ups and downs, but it certainly hasn't been
steadily on the wane in Europe since TKI.  Hounds of Love was a big
success everywhere, and The Whole Story was No. 1 for weeks in Britain.

As for America, it's true that _Two Rooms_ is by far the most successful
album in America out of the ones she performed solo on (Peter Gabriel's
So probably did better).  But if we consider the songs, it's still
the case that the only Kate song to make the top-40 in the USA was
Running Up That Hill.  So I would say that most Americans who know her,
know her for that song.

Ed
ed@wente.llnl.gov