Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate's popularity among the masses

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1992 09:57:18 -0700
Subject: Kate's popularity among the masses
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Hi!

From:	Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>

>I would say practically everybody who takes any interest at all in
>rock/pop and who's been around in the UK for the last 7-14 years has
>heard of KaTe, knows what she looks like, and can hum at least one of
>her songs. Ok, they may only remember Wuthering Heights or Wow, and the
>leotards and waving arms, but they still remember her.

Well, in my experience that even pertains to people who don't really have an
interest in rock/pop music.  When I arrived at Gatwick for the KonvenTion I was
getting my passport checked by an elderly customs officer (I'd say he was
around 70), and he asked me the standard questions.  "Where have you come
from?"  Munich.  "How long will you be staying?"  The weekend.  "Reason for
coming into the country?"  Kate Bush Convention.  He looked up at me.  "Kate
Bush the singer???"  Yes.  He smiled.  "Jolly good, that!" and stamped the
passport and I was on my way trying not to die.  It set the weekend off on the
right foot, I can tell you. ;)

Kate Bush may not be a household name all over the globe, but at least in
Europe she's known enough to be recognized.  I heard her songs on the radio all
across Germany and Switzerland, and a friend of mine even heard "Babooshka"
played at a disco one night!  The US has really generally ignored her, but this
is really the only place...
  |Meredith Tarr                      "Get to the point you sappy wimps|
  |Wesleyan University                 I haven't got a lifetime        |
  |Middletown, CT                      Simplicity is beauty            |
  |USA, Earth                          Are there poets less sublime?"  |
  |mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu                            -Happy Rhodes   |