Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sarah McLachlan missing track

From: justin@crim.ca (Justin Bur)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1992 21:58:32 -0800
Subject: Re: Sarah McLachlan missing track
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

This discussion is veering off into the dizzy heights of wild
speculation.  The explanations of the missing tracks are quite
simple and have little to do with Evil Record Companies or some
Horrid Plot against Canadian releases.

Sarah McLachlan _Touch_: the US release came out many months
after the Canadian one (which was in fall *1988*).  Arista didn't
get Sarah M for free; she was therefore able to spend extra time
and money in the studio to add an extra song and a remix and put
the album together the way she would have done in the first place
if she had had the resources to do so.  The revised version was
subsequently released in Canada and is now the only one available.

Sarah McLachlan _Solace_: I haven't heard anything definite on
this, but once again the US release was about eight months later
than the Canadian, so it's not too surprising that she had an
extra song to add.  It'll probably turn up in Canada sometime.

There have been plenty of tracks released in Canada on various
Nettwerk releases that may never have made it to the rest of the
world.  Yes, there are advantages to buying records in an artist's
home country.
  Ben's Song (78 version) - CD bonus track on original version
    of Touch (NTCD-45, 1988)
  Steaming (dance version) - on Steaming CD single (W2-3035, 1989)
  Solsbury Hill (live) - on Steaming CD single
  What Lies Beyond - on Nettwerk Sound Sampler vol. III (W2-30048, 1990)
  Shelter (violin mix) - on The Path of Thorns CD single (W2-3056, 1991)
  Sad Clown (CBC session) - on Into the Fire CD single (W2-3063, 1991)
  Black (CBC session) - on Into the Fire CD single
  Gloomy Sunday (live) - on Drawn to the Rhythm CD single (W2-3065, 1992)
  Drawn to the Rhythm (live acoustic) - on Drawn to the Rhythm CD single
and I think there may be one or two other CD singles I don't have.

For more information on Nettwerk artists contact Nettwerk Productions,
Box 330, 1755 Robson Street, Vancouver, B.C. V6G 3B7.  Telephone
+1 604 654 2929; fax +1 604 654 1993.  I called them earlier this week
to ask about Sarah McLachlan's tour dates - she was in Quebec City
last Sunday and Monday, she's not coming to Montreal this time (grr!),
and will be playing three nights at the Winter Garden in Toronto,
26-28 March, as someone probably already posted somewhere.

Enya _Watermark_: The album was released worldwide *without*
Storms in Africa part 2.  A few months later, it was reissued under
a new catalog number with the extra track added.  It took another
few months before the extra track turned up on Canadian copies, and
WEA Canada didn't change the album's catalog number, but it's there
now.

justin