Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

All sorts of things....

From: POLS051@csc.canterbury.ac.nz
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1992 18:52:00 -0800
Subject: All sorts of things....
To: Love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Dear Love-Hounds

I've been meaning to write for months now, but my thesis work is getting in the
way.   Meanwhile I've been saving up things to write about.

(1) Does anyone know of any plans for a Katemas party in New Zealand?   At
first I thought of holding one myself here (Christchurch).   However, this
city has a population of only 300,000 and I don't know if we have a high
enough number of fans to make it a good one.   Could we perhaps have one big
central party in Wellington or Auckland, and have everyone travel to it?
Anyone want to contact me about this?

(2) I finally get to mention Wilheim Reich in my thesis!   I'm doing a
cross-cultural study of the role of authoritarianism in war and male dominance.
My supervisor suggested that I read the famous study _The Anthoritarian
Personality_ (1950), and I find that they were partially influenced by Reich's
book _The Mass Psychology of Fascism_.  (Of course, this was written before
Reich went crazy, so I don't get to mention the cloudbuster).

(3) At last I got hold of _Little Earthquakes_ by Tori Amos today.   Local
record shops have been sold out of it for the past few days.  I've only
listened to one side so far, but I'm impressed.   Does she explicitly state
anywhere that she was inlunenced by Kate, because it certainly sounds that way?

(4) I also got hold of a copy of the RM/CitW CD single yesterday.   I don't
actually have a CD player, and I've only listened to it once on a friend's
machine.   I liked RM better than CitW, due to the appalling wind(?) noises in
the background of CitW.

Anyway, I'd better finish up and get on with other things.   I'm flying up to
my cousin's wedding tomorrow, and I have alot of things to do beforehand.   I
guess you could say I'm on "The Wedding List".

Andrew Hoy,
Political Science Department
University of Canterbury
Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND.

	"...He's a utter creep and he drives me round the bend,
	 To alleviate the boredom, I sleep with his friends..."

	       -Kate Bush, _Do Bears_, (1986)
		(From the Comic Relief Concert Soundtrack)