Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #8.58

From: Zimri Smith <ST701790@brownvm.brown.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1992 08:15:04 -0800
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #8.58
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

Several things:
1)
I missed a description of what the Terrence whoever Trust does.
I gather that they provide some kind of aids information.
Attention Vickie: Anyhow, I'm interested in joining the .gaffa
contributors.

2)
Kevin Hendryx babbles in a reply to Ben Haller:

>     When the electronic net is able to provide the level of news
>coverage, musical analysis, artwork, and serious discussion provided
>by the better Katezines, only then can their members claim to be the
>"wave of the future."

If Mr. Hendryx has to work through an E-mailing surrogate, how would
he really know?

>Too much of the space in the nets is taken up
>with rumors, gossip, flames and ad hominem attacks that would not be
>tolerated in the mainstream press or a serious musicological
>publication (which, by and large, _LSL_ attempts to be, behind our
>breezy facade--we do not take ourselves _that_ seriously, after all).

Seems to me you *do* take yourselves seriously.
I think Mr. Hendryx doesn't understand that (as far as I know) nobody
here is claiming to conduct conversations similiar to those appearing
in print, either in serious musicological publications or in Lone Star
Lionhearts. The immediacy's the thing, Kevin, like a big party line
on which everyone can talk or listen when he or she has the time.
Being tapped in to .gaffa vs. getting news from print media is like the
difference between reading news directly off the AP wire vs. reading a story
about the same thing next week in Time.

>     I am often disturbed by the elitist attitude exhibited by
>certain of the electronic "haves" of the world.  They are too quick to
>regard themselves as creatures apart from and superior to the majority
>of people without the resources or desire to participate.  Many people
>are unable (or find it unnecessary) to invest in expensive
>computer/communications equipment, and those who can have no right
>to force their lifestyles or attitudes on others.

My comments above included, I don't think people here have
been "elitist" about electro vs. print media. They offer different
services. Some people only watch TV. Some only listen to the
radio. A few people actually still read newspapers. Many people,
like me, like to play mix-n-match with their news media. I suspect
Kate fans are no different. Relax. Nobody's coming to your house with
a gun to force you to get on the net, or to conform to the netting
lifestyle (whatever that may be). When New Hampshire changes its
license plates to read "Net or Die" you can start worrying and whining.

>     This is especially hypocritical on the part of those who do
>indeed "pirate" their computer time from their school or their place
>of work (a subject you finesse).  People who are not paying for their

I pay my tuition; my tuition pays for the University computers.
So bite me.

>information should be careful of criticizing those who do, e.g.
>fanzine subscribers, who are very happy with the product they
>receive.
>     I suspect the authors and publishers of the KB collector's guide
>would hold similar opinions.  People who invest their money in making
>a product available are entitled to a fair return, and disseminating
>information _gratis_ is theft from Godwin and his publishing
>company--they lose sales, and if people can't sell Kate books, we
>cannot complain if, eventually, there are none made available to us.

Hey, Kevin: ever xerox some stuff and mail it to your friends?
And what the hell are you referring to here?
By the way, what got this burr under your saddle about E-mail in the
first place?

Sometimes you just can't figure the Texans.

3)
Next, comments concerning the famous Canadian Sarah McLachlan:

First there was this from Neile:

>"Excape" is the way a lot of people, particularly Canadians, pronounce the
>word "escape".  Sorry you find it so irritating.  :)
>
>neile@u.washington.edu
>Canadian in exile

Then came the news that the Canadians didn't get "Wear Your Love Like
Heaven" on their Sarah McLachlan "Solace" CDs.

Sometimes Canadians are beyond comprehension.

Zimri Smith                           |
internet: ST701790@brownvm.brown.edu  |           ni!