Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Thoughts on Hannah

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1992 01:35:14 -0800
Subject: Thoughts on Hannah
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        What I've always found most inspiring about Kate has been that she
is someone with great potential - that was realized.   Whereas there are so
many people out there with all types of potential that never is realized.
No doubt one of the main reasons, perhaps the single greatest reason outside
herself,  that Kate was able to realize this potential so early and so
powerfully was the influence and support of her mother.
        What is so sad to me about the passing of Kate's mother is that a
large part of what made Kate what she is, and hence her music what it is, is
now gone.  Of course, the positive side of it is that that will live on,
both in Kate and her music.  And living on, in a positive way, through your
children and those you know is, ultimately, the best legacy one can leave.
And the fact that the circle of people that Kate's mother has influenced,
through her influence on Kate's music, is so large is an indication of how
special she must have been.
        I think that perhaps what Kate's mother gave her that was most
important (as an artist, and no doubt in other areas of her life) was that
image of home, of having a stable place to return to, not just in a literal
sense, but also in giving Kate a stable place inside herself.
        In The Ninth Wave, for example, you have the image of her mother and
others trying to wake her up so she won't drown, then (in
_Watching_You_Without_Me_) of desiring to be home, then (in
_The_Jig_of_Life_) the image of the future self, perhaps an image similar to
that of her mother, coming to give her hope, and then (in _The_Morning_Fog_)
of finally escaping and running home to mother and family.
        To me, this is one of Kate's main strengths as an artist, she's
always been brave enough to delve deep into difficult emotions, perhaps
because of having that solid base to return to, whereas some artists don't
have the courage to do this and want to stay in "safe" areas, and others
stay in the "difficult" areas and don't seem to have the desire or ability
to fight their way out of them.  The fact that the difficult sides of life
are seen from the strength of someone who also can see the more positive
sides, is one of the more powerful facets of Kate's music.  And, to a great
extent, we have her mother to thank for this.

--
INTERNET:  rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
UUCP:   ...!nosc!ryptyde!netlink!rhill