Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Peter the Angel Gabriel

From: aruss@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Andrew Russ)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1992 23:04:50 -0800
Subject: Peter the Angel Gabriel
To: rec-music-gaffa@cis.ohio-state.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hello, Andrew Russ here (aruss@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu) including his address
at the top of the post because of the way things are being routed now.

I traded for this tape (actually it's half a tape) of Peter Gabriel, which
apparently came from a bootleg LP and includes Peter's contribution to
Kate's BBC special in 1979, maybe also some live tracks from The Recorder
magazine, and some other things.  I'm posting it as info for those who
would want to keep track of this alternative source of "Another Day", and
see if there's any doubt about it being the BBC show (as i don't have that
myself).

Anyway, here it is, with a fairly complete description for the curious.

Review -- Peter The Angel -- Peter Gabriel

Tracks:  Not One Of Us
         Humdrum
         Ain't That Peculiar
         White Shadow
         The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
         Peter the Angel Gabriel  (Kate sings)
         Here Comes The Flood
         "Angel's Fate" (Another Day)  (duet with Kate)
         I Don't Remember
         Excuse Me
         Back In New York City (cut)

    I got a tape of this.  The only information about it was "live 1980"
and that Kate appears on "Peter the Angel Gabriel" and "Another Day"
(might as well call the song by its proper name).  The total time is
probably a bit longer than 45 minutes, and the last song was cut to fit
on one side of a tape.
    The tracks obviously come from several sources, though most are
audience concert recordings (very good, but not excellent sound).  "I
Don't Remember" has no audience noise; it may be a studio remix or
outtake.
    "Peter The Angel Gabriel", "Here Comes The Flood" and "Another Day"
are probably from Kate's BBC special, which i haven't heard or seen
myself, so let me describe the tracks and hopefully you can tell me.
"Peter The Angel Gabriel" is sung by Kate and a deep voice (doesn't sound
like Peter, or maybe it does, if he's using one of his voices).  It
sounds like a fragment or a very short song with a few seconds cut off
the beginning.  It probably runs about 30 seconds, followed immediately
by Peter singing "Here Comes The Flood" accompanied only on electric
piano.  There is applause at the end of that track.  Then "Another Day"
is sung as a duet, and there is some applause at the end of it, too.
>From the applause, it sounds like a broadcast or soundboard recording
rather than an audience recording.
    I think the complete Kate Bush TV show is in circulation, but it
interesting to see this edited selection for the Peter Gabriel fan.
    Incidentally, if you've gotten this far & don't already know,
"Another Day" was written by Kate's friend Roy Harper, who recorded it on
his album Flat Baroque and Berserk in 1968 (approximately) and also
recorded a live version (with strings) circa 1974 for the album Flashes
>From the Archives of Oblivion.
    Kate's arrangement is lovely.
    Also interesting:  "Ain't That Peculiar" is a cover song (sorry,
don't know the authors) Peter put in his live act starting with his 1977
tour.  It's also been covered by Mike and the Mechanics, another Genesis
spin-off.  The order of tracks "Not One Of Us", "Humdrum", and "Ain't
That Peculiar", looks suspiciously like these might be three live tracks
placed in an issue of The Recorder, a magazine that included printed
matter and a record album.  I don't have the issue info, but it was
issued sometime in 1980-1982.  That issue included the three live tracks
and an interview (2.5 12"x12" pages), and of course music by other
artists and additional articles (one on Charles Bukowski).  I haven't
actually listened to make sure that these songs are taken from The
Recorder, though.  (Another issue of The Recorder had four instrumental
pieces from Robert Fripp on its record.)
    This version of "Excuse Me" was very tough to get through.  Here's
what i mean:  Peter asks for silence from the audience for the next song.
The audience is silent.  Peter sings the first note.  The audience,
recognizing the song (presumably) cheers loudly for several seconds.
After the applause dies down, Peter sings the first note again.  There is
another round of applause.  Peter sings the second note.  There is more
applause.  By singing a line at a time and waiting for the applause to
die, Peter eventually makes it through the first few lines, and the rest
of the song progresses without interruption.
    I assume "Excuse Me" and the other tracks are live recordings from
1980.  Though the Lamb Lies Down tracks were used as encores on the first
tour, does anyone know how late Peter was performing them in concert?
    This is an interesting miscellany of Peter Gabriel stuff, but i
suspect that much of it could be obtained in better sound, if you can
find it.