Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hannah Bush quotes

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1992 19:16:46 -0800
Subject: Hannah Bush quotes
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        As usual, I find that Kate says things better then I ever could:

        WHAT'S BEEN THE LOWEST POINT IN YOUR LIFE?
        In my life!  The worst moments are when I've lost people that have
meant something to me, when people have died.  They're definitely the worst
moments.  It's probably just the selfish feelings of why you miss a person.
You want them to be with you again, you want them more and they're not
there.  [MAKES OK SIGN]  Because probably where they've gone, they're really
having a good time.  It you want to look at it, death, in a way, should be
looked on as the greatest thing that's ever going to happen to you.   (1980,
Profiles In Rock)

        DO YOU COME FROM A PARTICULARLY ARTISTIC FAMILY?
        Well, my mother's a dancer, she won a lot of prizes cleaning the
floor with the opposition, and my father's a musician.  (1981, RM)

        I don't know if it was a dream or not, but I remember somebody
looking over into my cot going something like "googgy wooogy woogy wooo".  I
might have been one, maybe two years old.
        My father was a doctor and my mother a nurse.  Now she works on the
phone for my father, taking calls.  (1982, Flexipop)

        PADDY, MAYBE YOU'D GIVE A QUICK SKETCH OF YOUR CAREER AS A MUSICIAN
PRIOR TO YOUR INVOLVEMENT WITH YOUR SISTER.
        PADDY: Well, I suppose it all started off initially because there's
always been so much music in our family.  Our mother comes from a very
musical family, all her brothers, i.e. our uncles, played on accordians and
fiddles and stuff.  So music was something we were always exposed to as
young kids and we were always hearing Irish dance music, which has been very
special to me ever since.  (1985, Kate Bush Con)

        My mother's Irish and she always had relatives popping around, the
vast majority of whom were superb musicians.  They'd come around and play
accordions and things. (1989, Pulse)

        My mother, to whom I have always been very close also, was a muse.
But my eye was almost always on what my father was up to.  Don't you think
that, as a child, your aspirations are into the world?
        You take the whole domestic situation, including your mother, for
granted.  Little did I know it was mum who was holding it all together.
(1989, You)

        An engineer we were working with picked out the line in
"_And_Dream_of_Sheep_" that says "Come here with me now."  I asked him why
he liked it so much.  He said, "I don't know, I just love it.  It's so
moving and comforting."  I don't think he even knew what was being said
exactly, but the song is about someone going to sleep in the water, where
they're alone and frightened.  And they want to go to sleep, to get away
from the situation.  But at the same time it's dangerous to go to sleep in
water, you could drown.  When I was little, and I'd had a bad dream, I'd go
into my parents' bedroom round to my mother's side of the bed.  She'd be
asleep, and I wouldn't want to wake her, so I'd stand there and wait for her
to sense my presence and wake up.  She always did, within minutes; and
sometimes I'd frighten her - standing there still, in the darkness in my
nightdress.  I'd say, "I've had a bad dream," and she'd lift bedclothes and
say something like "Come here with me now."  It's my mother saying this line
in the track, and I briefed her on the ideas behind it before she said it.
And I think it's the motherly comfort that this engineer picked up on.  In
fact, he said this was his favourite part of the album.   (1987, KBC 21)

        HANNAH: We always encouraged Kate to write songs, but we never
thought, we never dreamed, it would all turn out like this.  We're very
proud of her, naturally, but hasn't it all happened very suddenly?  The
doorbell's ringing all the time now from fans who want autographs.  I have
to collect them up and give them to Kate to sign.
        I worry about Kate at times, but she's a very stable girl and always
seems to know what she's doing.  She hasn't become affected in the
slightest.   (1978, Bush-Whacked!)

        HANNAH BUSH: [inaudible] Oh, in the show.  I like her in all of it
actually, the quality, her performance, and her stamina.

        HANNAH: Stamina, yes.  I mean her stamina is fantastic.  I mean she
had to go on... We're very proud of that.  [Taps Kate on the shoulder] Very
professional, uh huh, isn't she?   (1979, Kate Bush In Concert)

--
INTERNET:  rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
UUCP:   ...!nosc!ryptyde!netlink!rhill