Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Noting the occasion

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1992 21:27:00 -0800
Subject: Noting the occasion
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

       Many thanks to Vickie for her gracious and thoughtful effort in
passing along the sad news of Mrs. Bush's death this month.  Most of the time
we're fans of Kate Bush here, but now we need to be her friends too, meaning
that we recognize how very distant and incidental we are to her and her
family at a time like this.  Vickie's suggestion about gifts to charities the
family respects is an excellent one.

       I would not be surprised if Ron Hill is already compiling a post from
"Cloudbusting" containing Kate's remarks about her mother.  We know the Bush
family are very close, and as bystanders can only be grateful that they have
that strength among themselves at this time.

       Hannah Bush appears quite unmistakably in the video for "Suspended in
Gaffa," but I believe that she is also in the video for "The Big Sky."  This
hypothesis was a novelty for the group of us at Larry Hernandez's place in
San Jose last Katemas, and after running through the passage in question
frame by frame several times from the laserdisk, Ron Hill was still uncertain
but Andy Marvick seemed to agree.  Having checked it again just now, I am as
confident as ever.

       The moment comes exactly two minutes into the video, when Kate has
sidestepped forward through the ranks of hero figures, and the camera rises
higher and dollies back along them.  In the middle of the two files of heroes
stands a short mature woman in an aviator cap, and at the instant her face
(looking straight into the camera) is centered in the frame it is lit by
bright light from the left, and it simply looks clear as day to me that this
is Hannah Bush.

       It is so characteristic of Kate Bush that she would find opportunity
in her work to introduce her family to us, and us to her family.

"Tell my mother...father...loved one...brothers             Peter Manchester
    How much I love them"                           pmanches@sbccmail.bitnet
     -The Morning Fog-                         pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu