Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Strange Phenomena (of sorts)

From: caen!bsbbs!nrc@harvard.harvard.edu (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1992 23:11:25 -0800
Subject: Re: Strange Phenomena (of sorts)
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

brownfld@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield) writes:

> judi@coyote.datalog.com (Judi McKernan) writes:
> >   Cynthia- I will be sending you a reply via email, as you have
> >requested.  Let me know  if it does not reach you.
>
>      A hint on getting mail to Cynthia:
>      Use this address, it should work from 99.23% of sites (guarantee void
> where prohibited.)  {nstar|n8emr}!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
> 							^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 						Note this.  Bag your message
> 						unless you include this.

I don't mean to sound like Cynthia but that may be true for you
but it doesn't necessarily apply to everyone.  In fact, the
combination of "!" and "@" addressing will terminally befuddle
many systems.  The addresses in the sig are correct, they just
are not complete enough for everyone.

user@bsbbs.uucp will work for those lucky enough to have a system
that uses the UUCP maps and that doesn't route into a system that
doesn't recommend the UUCP domain.   Either
nstar!bluemoon!bsbbs!user or n8emr!bluemoon!bsbbs!user will work
for some whose mailers are smart enough to find a route to nstar
or n8mer, two reasonably well connected machines.  Others, (and
this includes you and Judi) just need to figure out a path to
n8mer or nstar to make the connection.

I sent mail to you to help you find that connection.  You found a
connection to nstar through iuvax, others have found a connection
through caen or samsung or several other systems.  I also sent
mail to judi but it works both ways since judi has evidently not
received my mail, either.

All of this grief (and I don't like it any more than you) is a
result of being hung out on the UUCP network with only the UUCP
maps to guide mailers to bsbbs.  I'd like to fix that by
registering in the US domain but first I'll have to locate
someone to provide MX forwarding.  If there are any Love-Hounds
directly on the internet willing and able to do so please drop me
a line.  Maybe in a few months bsbbs.uucp can become
bsbbs.columbus.oh.us and we can solve this once and for all.

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
                                  nrc@bsbbs.UUCP