Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bitchiness

From: caen!bsbbs!cynthia@harvard.harvard.edu (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1992 17:31:46 -0800
Subject: Re: Bitchiness
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

brownfld@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield) writes:

>      I figure if I make you sick and tired of getting responses from some twit
> that thinks you're being childish and expressing yourself in a way that same
> twit wouldn't inflict on his enemies, then you'll curb that urge to be what
> I opine as childish, etc..

You figured wrongly on that.  If _you_ or anyone else feels
something I say is childish or mean or whatever, you have a
right to that feeling.  But no matter how much you try, I will
express my opinion any way I see fit.  I'm not trying to be
ugly to you here, I'm simply trying to state a fact.  Whether
you opine it as "childish" or not has no bearing on it.
However, for the sake of avoiding repetitiveness and tedium,
though I'd hate to, if your goal is to persist with the goal
of "curbing" something, I'll probably ignore most of your

> If you don't like it, go to WarmRoom.

Haa - No thanks, WormRoom sounds too controlled and contrived
in its stated goals.

>      My intention was to take this to email, unfortunately UUCP gets in the
> way.

I think Richard Caldwell may have helped somehow, but I _did_
get Email from Ken this morning, for the first time.  I am
answering this post in the public forum, as I felt that Ken
started the dialogue, while I have been responding each time.
I feel Ken has been doing "tit", as it were, while I respond
with "tat".  AT any rate there is a point or two he brings up
here shortly that I'd like to answer.

>      Now, obviously saying "I'm a bitch," etc. is playing on the people
> who called you that, fine.  If you can tell me with a straight face that
> you have taken into consideration the _reason_ you were called a bitch, I
> will be satisfied.  I don't need to be satisfied, but it would make me

> feel a lot better.

If you're referring to the signoff quote, it's "I_can_ bitch,
etc."   It _is_ playing on the fact that someone called me
that, and a couple others picked up on it, and since it
doesn't offend me, I play off it too.

The reason I was called a "raving bitch" was due, I think, to
a post I made regarding Jorn's "Womanly Hours of Catherine
Bush" post.  I said something to the effect that I found it to
be writen in an adolescent schoolboy style, very sicophantic,
quite presumptuous, and it made me roll my eyes severely.
Well, in retrospect, I still feel the same way, and if you ask
me now what I thought of that essay, I would say pretty much
the same thing.  It was my opinion.

However, beond that, I believe I have rarely started any
discussion that led to flamage.  I have participated, joining
in once something is in progress, for instance, I "defended"
or "supported" Ben Haller during a censorship discussion (not
my idea, but it interested me, so I joined in).  I "defended"
or "supported" Melissa Caldwell in an assertion that a
statement about rape - physical vs. psychological, was sexist.
Not my idea, but it interested me, etc.  I "defended/suported"
Stev0 in his earth shattering KateFans mock, that it wasn't
all _that_ rude.

Also, Ken you've implied that my Kate postings have been of
questionable nature?  I don't think so.  I've posted what  I
think was a flameless opinion of Rocket Man and CandleIn The
Wind, I've asked the odd wuestion about her here and there, I
answered another Love-Hound regarding a question he had about
RM, cause I was fairly sure he was referring to something I'd
said, and taking it out of context (re Kate's voice
"deteriorating:, I think it was).  I posted what I think was a
flme free opinion of Happy Rhodes, and while I made a naughty
remark or two at the end, they were clearly jokes, and aimed
at Vickie, who seemed not to take offense.

I've posted about movies and ice skating, as KateNews was slow
and it seemed okay for others to digress a bit into other
media.

I really do not think my Kate posts have been "questionable"
or whatever term you used.

>      All I want to know is whether you have taken into account why you were
> called a bitch.  I'd say childish, but if you've taken that into account, I
> know who I'm dealing with.  Right now, I'd just like to know what exactly
> Cynthia Rosas is all about.

Obviously, I have taken into account why Steve VanDevneter
called me a "raving bitch".  In fact, he _said_ at the time he
was seeing if I minded him saying that if that was his
opinion.  I told him, no I didn't mind.  Speak your mind, and
I'll speak mine.  After that, others sort of pulled it along
as a joke... alt.gaffa.raving bitch,  and the like.

I'm truly touched that you'd like to know what Cynthia Rosas
is all about.  But you cannot know what a person is all about
thru electronic means.  However, you seem to think that I'm
"hiding" behind some "bict" venner.  I'm truly not, you get
the real me, depending on the subject matter at hand.  If it
comes across as childish to you, I'm sorry, and you are free
to comment, bu I will probably not change my mode of
expression.  What I am about is a woman that feels different
ways about different subjects, and expresses herself pretty
freely, bluntly, sometimes nice, sometimes sarcastic,
sometimes even cynically about certain subjects.  But I'm
always honest, if not always tactful.  Tact has much less
importance to me than honesty or a freeform exchange of
attitudes & ideas.  To alot of people, that's a "bitch".
It's not, to me, but hey, life is but a dream, I just keep on
rolling with it, to mix a few metaphors.

If there's anything I can cover mo' better from your email, I
will, and I will certainly give you a response, tho it may not
be for a few days.  I think Richard has told you. my access is
sproradic.

And I hope this clarifies a couple things for others, Peter
Manchester, maybe, Judi McKernan, maybe.

I don't know why some of you have had trouble emailing me.
Please try again, and if it bounces, maybe tell Richard
Caldwell, who fixes stuff I don't even understand very well.
In other words _I_ couldn't tell ya why your email bounced!

----
Cynthia Rosas <cynthia@bsbbs.UUCP> <{n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia>
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)

"I can bitch, I can bitch, cause I'm better than you!"