Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Me sick and stuff

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1992 14:23:44 -0800
Subject: Me sick and stuff
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        I says:

        I've been REALLY sick the last week (sicker then I"ve been in five
years or so) so I haven't been working on Cloudbusting at all.  I'm hoping
to get it done by the end of the month, at which time I should also send out
all the stuff I owe people.
        BTW, I'm still looking for someone who can FTP the TEXT version as
well as be the first link in the chain-disk system. I have someone FTPing
the Wordperfect Edition and also making a POSTSCRIPT version, so there will
be at least four versions of Edition 2 (adding the coming AMIGA version)..
I'm still trying to find someone who can put the archives on disk and mail
them to me for my DEEPER UNDERSTANDING project.
        BTW, did anyone miss my Star Trek meets Love-Hounds - The Return
story?  I posted it over the holidays and maybe people missed it.

Bob says:

Ron,
  Thanks for the comments about my questions!  I made them up after going
through some of the love-hounds digests I had saved.  I didn't save the
message where she mentioned Klaus Kinski (I just made a note of it), but
it should be easy to find by doing a search on the Love-Hounds archives.
I hadn't heard about his death!  I know that she like Steely Dan, so that's

why I mentioned Donald Fagin in the Jazz question.  In the question about
`Love and Anger', I wanted her to comment about the juxtaposition of those
two emotions.  I mentioned trust because the violation of trust might be
one reason for anger.  In terms of the Beatles/John Lennon, I'll have to
listen to "Number Nine Dream" more closely; I had never thought about it
as an influence on Kate's music.  Which of Kates songs do you think were
influenced by it?

I says:

        Hm, you know I never thought of it in terms of specific songs, it's
just that the whole feel of the song sounds like a Bush song.  IED was the
first to point this out.
        Here's the brief "KK" quote:

        She's very relaxed. When asked about a sex symbol she says three
words: "Gosh" and "Klaus Kinski".  (1985, Blitz)

Bob Says:

  Here's the message that refers to the "Pulse" interview in which she
describes HOL as her easiest album:

I says:
        Thanks, anyone have the complete interview anywhere, rather then
just the excerpt?

Bob says:

Say, do you think that The Ninth Wave could be about her own
artistic/internal struggle?  It's that witch part above (and the discussion
a while back of
KB-the-witch) that gave me the idea.  For instance, the bit with the witch-
finder is about KB not understood by outsiders (critics, etc), and "Watching

You Without Me" (she sees loved ones but they can't see her) is about her
not understood by her close friends.  Just a wild speculation.

I says:
        I don't know.  :-)  I always thought of it as being an allagory
about the stuggles of getting through life, and for Kate that could be her
artistic struggle.  As far as the witchfinder part, I don't know if you can
make it that specific and Kate did say:

        ...whether you are innocent or guilty, they're going to put you
down--under the water again...
        Can I just ask you something - from a personal point of view, did
you ever feel that was happening to you in the music business?
        [Laughs.]  No, not at all!  No, I think that's very much something
that...
        People have made up?
        Well, that is an outside personal view of construing subject matter.
 I think that, very much, this whole thing [The Ninth Wave] is tied in with
water and if I was thinking of going under water it wouldn't be to do with
the business at all, it would be to do with myself as a person,
relationships, all that sort of thing.  They're what concern me, that's what
would make me go under, I think.

On "Watching You Without Me"

        The most upsetting one to do on this album was "Watching You Without
Me."  That's such a sad thought...

Bob says:

By the way, where does all that angry energy  of "The Dreaming" comes from?

I don't think anybody can produce a work of such STRONG emotion without
some stimuli of an equivalent magnitude.

I says:

        I don't know.  She's never really said if there was something
specific that happened to inspire that album.

 /s

--
 rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
NetLink Online Communications * Public Access in San Diego, CA (619) 435-6181