Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ben's post

From: lazlo%triton.unm.edu@lynx.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1991 09:48:46 -0800
Subject: Re: Ben's post
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Vickie) writes:

> I just wonder what would happen if *all* stores refused to carry labeled
> albums.

This possibility is not as ludicrous as it sounds, since that's
essentially what's happening in the video industry.  As Blockbuster eats
up more and more mom-n-pop operations, there are more and more smaller
communities where Blockbuster is the only video store around.  Blockbuster
has an especially egregious policy of not stocking unrated, NC-17 and
"controversial" movies, and they're moving towards getting special
cuts made of R movies that don't meet their "family standards".  (Yes,
they're big enough now that they have that kind of clout.)

I don't care about niggling "dictionary definitions" of what censorship is
-- if a shop responds to political or economic pressure to stop carrying
something that they would, under ordinary circumstances, carry, I consider
that a close enough cousin to censorship that the difference isn't worth
mentioning.  Labeling and ratings codes just help that process along.

--
Lazlo (lazlo@triton.unm.edu)

"Let's save the virgins!"
		"Awww, let's help DynaPink."