Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rocket Man

From: usenet%agate.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (USENET Administrator)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1991 04:32:24 -0800
Subject: Rocket Man
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

From: boris@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 14 Nov 91 12:32:23 GMT

I just heard RM on the local station, KITS, and what follows is my
random thoughts on this song.

The song is good. I am not sure it is great, simply because I only
heard it once. However, I think people's complaints about the
"reggae beat" aren't warranted. The reggae effect is not that
prevalent, and its presence enhances and updates the song.
I can definitely tell that it is an Elton John song, even though
I haven't heard the original verson, though. I think KT's voice
for the most part is good, though I little harsh at some times.
The "ethnic" instruments also meld well with the overall song.
The song sounds fairly main-stream (as main stream as KT gets), so
hopefully it does well in the charts.
	I really don't know if it will become one of my favs. It
didn't sound amazing when I heard it, but I still enjoyed it immensely
since to hear anything new from KT is a pleasure. Hopefully, I'll
get a chance to hear it again. I only listen to this station in
hopes of hearing RM (I liked KROQ in LA, but KITS gets on my nerves),
so hopefully, in my random tuning in's, I'll catch her again.
	Incidentally, I probably won't bother buying TR, simply because
KT's song isn't worth a whole album that I haven't heard, and that
the majority (including the DJ at KITS) think is a collection of
mostly poor covers (except for KT of course).

--boris