Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hello! and a J.o.L lyrics request

From: POLS051@csc.canterbury.ac.nz
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1991 19:34:00 -0800
Subject: Hello! and a J.o.L lyrics request
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Dear other Kate Bush fans,

Imagine my surprise when a brief look through of the local University computer
system news service (University of Canterbury, New Zealand) showed up a
newsgroup by the name of "gaffa". In New Zealand at least, I've gained the
impression that Kate's music tends to hover between the "commercial" and
"alternative" music worlds,finding both some success, yet also occasional
derision from both.   To me her music transends boundaries, and I'm pleased
to see that in some places at least she has an established and serious
group of followers.

Well, all these years listening to her music has lead to me having many
questions regarding her work, and now I seen that I may get some of them
awnsered.   Without further delay, here is the first one:

(1) In the second half of the song "Jig of Life" a male voice comes in and
starts reading some sort of poem or verse, although I can only make out about
half of the words.   The fact that this is not included in the lyric sheet of
the album leads me into thinking that it is some established piece of poetry
that she decided to incorporate.   Does anyone know if this is true, because I
quite like it and would like to track down the poem.

Alternatively, if it is not a poem, and is part of the lyrics, is there anyone
out there who has been able to decipher exactly what the voice is saying?

Thanks to anyone who can help me on this.

Andrew Hoy. Christchurch, New Zealand.

A.HOY@CSC.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ

"Coming in with the Golden Light"