Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Lurker Emerges

From: Mary (M.L.) Rowe <MARYLOU@BNR.CA>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1991 00:11:00 -0700
Subject: A Lurker Emerges
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Sender: Mary (M.L.) Rowe <MARYLOU@BNR.CA>

(Warning: Long Post!!)

Well, having finally confirmed my access to the outside world,
it's time for me to purge all the things inside that I've always
wanted to post to this group.

Kate Bush: I've a been a LONG-TIME fan of Kate and for many years
never really knew of any other fans. My first exposure to Kate
was via CBC radio in 1978. That Sunday night I heard 'Wuthering
Heights' as part of a 'World Top 50' program (studying for calculus as
it were). It made a major impression on me, to say the least.
Unfortunately at the time I did not get her name.
It wasn't until Sept. 1979, that
I was able to connect the song with the name and thus started my
collecting. Every time a new album was out, I was right there.

I keep hearing in gaffa about the difficulty in obtaining her stuff (US).
This amazes me! I lived in Newfoundland until 1983 and was able to
obtain her easily. As the years have gone by I have some special
treasures including the Canadian TKI (different cover from anywhere
else), the marbled HOL, the numbered singles set, various 12" 45s,
plus now the boxed CD set. (I had TSW cd before the set but I kept it
as the Canadian cd is a special picture version.)

One thing I've noticed: I had an EMI-America TD cd and was distressed
when I noticed that it sounded 'faster' than my album version which
I know very intimately. When I got the boxed set with the Brit cds
I immediately checked out TD. To my pleasure, it sounded exactly as
I knew it. I suspect the American version is inferior.

BTW: I was told by a military type that BFPO stood for

       British Forces Palestine Operation

Maybe soc.culture.british could help us out.

The only stuff that I don't have by Kate are 'The Cathy Demos' and
any other 'bootleg' stuff. I'd dearly love to get my hands on that!

Suffice to say, Kate Bush is one of my favorite artists. Her writing,
singing, production, etc. are brilliant. I could get into discussing
the various aspects of her albums but I'll save it for another post.

Happy Rhodes: Thanks indirectly to Vickie who corresponded with another
BNR'er, I have been able to hear Happy Rhodes' 'Warpaint'. I practically
wore that cd out before (reluctantly) handing it back to its owner.
It's been a long time since I've been obsessed with a cd (since TSW
actually) and this one reeled me in. Time to place an order, methinks!!
Now I know what the fuss was all about. Excellent!!!

Sarah McLachlan: I bought her newly released 'Touch' in vinyl in '88
and just loved it. BTW, what I have is the earlier version of 'Touch'.
It was subsequently remixed and rereleased with a new cover. I liked
the original version of Vox better but I can't complain too much other
than to say I wish I could get the original 'Touch' on cd. 'Solace'
is great! Her concert here in Ottawa in August was incredible...
packed to the rafters and several encores for an extremely appreciative
crowd!!

Other Artists I love (to name a small few): Enya, Peter Gabriel, Clannad,
Loreena McKennitt, Sam Brown, Kate and Anna McGarricle, The Clash,
U2, well, I shan't bore you anymore!!

Anyway, hi to you all... looking forward to contributing!!

                                     Mary Lou

Mary Lou Rowe  |My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of
BNR            |Bell-Northern Research.
P.O. Box 3511, Stn. C. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4H7
...!bnrgate!marylou%bwdlh490 MARYLOU@BNR.CA  613-765-4408