Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ecto/ Marriage/ Yma/ Cocteau Lyrics...

From: rodent@netcom.com (Ben Discoe)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 23:29:27 -0700
Subject: Re: Ecto/ Marriage/ Yma/ Cocteau Lyrics...
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie) writes:

>Vishal Markandey writes:
>Cocteau Twins:
>> If not, do you know any of the lyrics to any of their songs....(Preferably
>> from Heaven Or Las Vegas)  I have the WORST time understanding them!

>But, there are no lyrics in Cocteau Twins songs. It only seems that way
>because every now and then you can pick out an "English" word. Liz is the
>only person in the known universe who knows what she's singing about.
>She has always used sounds as words and words as sounds.

Well, not always... the early stuff (81-83) had (somewhat) intelligible
(if totally abstract) lyrics.  On Head over heels/Sunburst and Snowblind you
can still understand most of the words.  On Treasure she started mixing
in French and German-sounding words and stylizing more... by 1985 she
had collapsed completely into wonderful abstract phonetics.

>At least, nothing more that you should worry about, or you'll end up
>driving yourself crazy, running down the street screaming "WHAT DOES
>SHE _MEAN_, CHEERIOS?????" and then your friends and relatives will
>worry about you.

Too late, I'm already that way... the last song on their last album has
an ending chorus that is ALMOST understandable.. maddening so.
Sounds like "seiged by the pool, around all my vases and eyes on the
youth and the science of journey cause I'm wrapping up the music to
pladels and careers so, all of the time, I improvise my ruby shoes"
Yes, I *am* going mad :-)

ObKaTe: I have heard very little KaTe.  How does she compare on lyric
understandability?

>Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)

Ben, wild-eyed visionary at large