Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Death of Emotion

From: nstar!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 21:59:20 -0700
Subject: Re: The Death of Emotion
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

vickie@chinet.chi.il.us (Vickie Ann Mapes) writes:

> Chris here,
>
>    One symptom of an advanced case of cynicism, is to ascribe everyone
> else's motives to cynicism. Misery loves company.

Interesting that you should say so since it was Vickie that
started ascribing everyone else's motives to cynicism.  Feeling
any less lonely yet?

> > You doubt the people who look at things from a fundamentally different
> > point of view.  For you it's not possible that they are perfectly
>
>   That "fundamentally different point of view" seems to consist of taking
> an opposing viewpoint, no matter how strange, and defending it to the
> death. You are in danger of becoming tiresome and predictable.

I don't always disagree everyone, just you.  Ok, so sometimes I
do agree with you but I do my best not to let on.

> > have to account for their faults.  Try having a human being as a
> > hero for a change.  You'll find it not quite as easy, but much
> > more rewarding.
>
>    R-i-i-ight. This, from the guy who took me to task for daring to tell
> Kate (through Lisa of the KBC) what I thought of the Box Set. _How_ many
> different ways do you want to have it, Mr. Caldwell? _I_ was treating her
> like a human who was party to a bad business decision, and _you_ reacted
> as if I had piddled on your idol. A _little_ consistency, please!

My first response to your outburst was a simple disagreement on
the merits of the boxed set that you where impuning.  I have no
problem with such criticism and I certainly hope that the more
rational complaints about the boxed set have been well noted by
Kate.  I do not, however, agree that it is a "goddamn rip-off".

My second mention of that little scene was as an example for Vickie
of how you could become absurdly overzealous.  I hardly think that
your little tantrum represents treating Kate as a human.  Rather,
it seems to me to truely entail all the scorn and disrespect that
Vickie seemed to feel she saw in my post.  If you are incapable
of seeing the difference between my well considered, constructive
criticism and your heated cursing then I fear that you will find
little consistency here.

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
                                  nrc@bsbbs.UUCP