Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Chris, back from the dead ;-)

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 02:58:00 -0700
Subject: Chris, back from the dead ;-)
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Chris here,

   Catching up on posts...

 Larry DeLuca:

>       4.  Vicki, [me, actually] I could be wrong, but I *don't* think
>       that's a cello.
>       I am a mere six inches taller than Ms. Bush, and I've stood next
>       to both a cello and a bass.  The bass was close to my height,
>       but the cello was quite a bit smaller.  I'll go watch the video
>       again, though.

   Sorry for the misunderstanding. Upon reviewing the video I have come
to the conclusion that the insturment in question is, in fact, a viola.

  (By the way, the FAQ is being kind. As Linda Ellerbee said:
  "Mr. President, I never lie about my age; I lie about my height")

>       6.  Kate Bush's early videos all share a common problem - she
>       was trained for the stage, and not for film.  Each medium has
>       its own rules - film with its closeups and intimacy requires much
>       more subtlety in acting than does the stage, where larger emphasis
>       in voice and movement are required to push an impression across
>       the footlights.  Further, she received mimetic training - already
>       a stylization - almost a parody - of straight acting.

>       Most videos of the time share these problems.  Most movies from
>       the first 20 years of film share these problems (since there had
>       never been any films previously to guide people).  Watching the
>       MTV generation re-invent the acting wheel has been an interesting
>       and often amusing experience.

   We have fairly extensive archives of music videos from the late '70s
and early '80s. As one who believed the Buggles (and the guy who wrote it)
statement that video would kill the radio stars, and one who was sorely
disappointed when that didn't happen, I was first attracted to Kate's music
by her presentation. She was one of the new generation who would topple
the bloated "arena rock" crap my friends listened to. Little did I know
that the dinosuars would just hire film-makers and co-opt MTV. Anyone
who doesn't believe me when I say that Kate's early videos stood head
and shoulders above the rest of what was out there....well just drop on
by and we'll play samples of the average early eighties videos until you
try to knaw you're own leg off...

>       8.  New Music: Kirsty MacColl's new album - _Electric Landlady_.

   Seconded! She is also a very _sneaky_ lyricist; little bits will jump
out at you after 20 or so listenings - phrases rotated 270 degrees as it
were.

Jeffrey C. Burka:

> It's interesting that you mention the waterfall sample, as I had never
> heard that it was one of the Fairlight "samples." (while I'm here, thanks
> to Chris for the explanation of how the Fairlight analyzes a sound and
> then resynthesizes it).

   Always glad to lend a hand in the holy Kateian Kause as a nit-picker.
Seriously, I think the way the Fairlight works is one reason why it's
sound is more interesting than the much-praised Synclaiver and Kurzweil
machines, boxes that I have always regarded as glorified digital recorders.

Meridith Tarr:

>>   No, it wasn't intended to be a serious analysis of the song. Though,
>> at the risk of sounding too flip, we probably take that video _much_
>> more seriously than Kate does. It may well be that the sword-wielding
>> character only represents Kate's desire to wear an outfit like that.

> I've long been convinced that one morning Kate awoke, went down to the
> kitchen for her morning tea, and announced to the cats: "Y'know, I've
> always wanted to prance around in a brass bra!"  And the concept of the
> "Babooshka" video was born. Truly a great moment in film history.  :)

   You never know. Check out the "Razzamatazz" interview bits about _Sat
In Your Lap_. Kate talks about how her friends told her "...how Spanish
they thought it sounded" as the reason for the "Bull imagery". Who knows?
Maybe she _didn't_ intend for the "bull-headed men" (ha-ha) to be Minotaurs.

>> On Dr. Hook show (Snow White and the Seven Cretins) Kate wore a costume
>> and make-up splitting her in half; her right side severe and repressed,
>> in a prim black dress; her left (our right) side in a wild shiny pointed
>> outfit, her face painted with lightning bolts.

> Hmmm- left= "sinister", the "bad" side.  (Goes back to the medieval
> presumption that lefties were the spawns of Satan- and red-headed lefties
> were demons incarnate!-)  Interesting, if glaringly obvious symbol here...

   Yes, but _her_ left, or _our_ left?

                                    Chris Williams of
                                        Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                            katefans@chinet.chi.il.us