Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313

From: lishka@cernvax.cern.ch (christopher lishka)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 02:27:33 -0700
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313
To: rec-music-gaffa@cernvax.cern.ch
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <9110150111.AA05047@lewhoosh.umd.edu> jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.EDU (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:

>But I still don't have the slightest idea of what most of the songs *mean*.

I think a lot of them are just observations of hers that are strung
together.  Certainly her concerts are like this.  The last one I saw
was almost exclusively a monologue (i.e. almost no music), and she
basically stood on stage and delivered a very entertaining and
disturbing view of how she sees things.  It was very though-provoking.

Her more recent stuff is a bit clearer as too the message, especially
songs like "Beautiful Red Dress".

>I also know a fair number of people who were disappointed with _Strange
>Angels_, thinking she'd "changed."  Damn!  Laurie got too melodic!

I know what you mean!

This rings in my ears the same way comments about Kate Bush's changes
do.  Yes, both artists have changed, but I like the results very much.
I don't expect a musician to stay the same, nor to create music I
like.  In both cases I like the new stuff that the artist is putting
out.

I certainly agree with you that _Strange Angels_ is fantastic.  I was
also surprised (and very glad) that she has included people like Bobby
McFerrin on the album.

>To me, the title track is *beautiful*.

It is memory of the late Robert Mapplethorpe.  I believe that she and
Mr. Mapplethorpe were friends (the photographs of her on the album
cover were by Robert Mapplethorpe).  It is a lovely and sad song, and
it reminds me of Robbie Robertson's wonderful song "Fallen Angel",
which is dedicated to a member of the Band (one of his friends) who
committed suicide.

>The Laurie Anderson people expect, though, is still there...just
>listen to a track like "The Dream Before," with that wonderful Hansel
>and Gretel conversation.  "Gretel, you can really be a bitch."

Very true!  Another great song, which reminds me of "The Blue Lagoon"
(I think that is the name) off of _Mr. Heartbreak_.  "Hansel, you are
really bringing me down."

>This is _United States Live, I-IV_.  You might have noticed that the subtitle
>of _Big Science_ is "Songs from United States I-IV."  The 4-record/tape/cd
>set is the full thing.

It also has early versions of stuff that appears on later albums
besides _Big Science_ (in reworked form).  A good example is "Language
Is A Virus", which is a stripped down version on "United States Live",
but is a full-blown song (complete with some great backup singers) on
"Home Of The Brave".

[I have just thought of another interesting fact: Peter Gabriel has
worked with Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson, and Robbie Robertson.  Man
that guy gets around!  All the collaborations have had very good
results, too.]

		Strange angels, singing just for me
		Their spare change, falls all over me
		This is nothing, like I thought it would be.
			-- Laurie Anderson, for a deceased friend

		Fallen angel, cast a shadow up against the sun
		If my eyes can't see the spirit of the chosen one.
		All the tears, all the rage, all the blues in the night
		If my eyes can't see you kneeling in the silver light.
			-- Robbie Robertson, for a deceased friend

						.oO Chris Oo.
--
 Christopher Lishka                  Smiling as the shit comes down
 Wisconsin Group, CERN               You can tell a man from what he has to say