Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313

From: lishka@cernvax.cern.ch (christopher lishka)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 02:02:13 -0700
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313
To: rec-music-gaffa@cernvax.cern.ch
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <1991Oct14.224625.20682@agate.berkeley.edu> boris@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen) writes:

>So, there is a Laurie Anderson fan here. I was wondering why
>no one ever discussed her.

Count me in as a person who enjoys her music.  I have seen her three
times in concert, and each one has been very different but equally
compelling.

I am not sure why she isn't discussed.  She seems (to me at least) to
be sort of an opposite of Kate Bush: in terms of vocals, Ms.
Anderson's voice is nowhere near the capabilities of Ms. Bush's.  The
song contents are very different too, although both artists have a lot
of good things to say about women's rights (I especially enjoy Laurie
Anderson's comments on how much women make in relation to men).  In
terms of performance, Laurie Anderson's style is a lot different from
Kate Bush's.  So maybe Laurie Anderson isn't discussed much because
she is so different.

>What do you think about her Strange Angel's album. I personally
>liked it a lot, though, I know lots who think she's "changed."

A friend of mine who has followed Laurie Anderson from her early years
said that a major difference between _Strange Angels_ and her previous
album is that she took singing lessons between the two.  I think it
shows too, as her vocals are better (IMHO) on _Strange Angels_.  I
really like the album, and it has some very beautiful songs on it.
One thing hasn't changed: Laurie Anderson stills collaborates with
some great musicians, and it shows.

>I saw a box set of hers of her live performances. Know if it is
>really good? Looks real old. I think I remember seeing one
>when I was 14ish.

Is this "United States", per chance?  It is long (about five hours, I
think).  Unfortunately, I got ahold of a copy just before I left the
States and had to leave it behind (it is out on CD now, I've heard).
I have listened to the first two hours of it, and I like it.  There is
much more dialogue, and I would say it is more like her _Big Science_
album.  If you like her non-music performances (I certainly do),
you'll probably like "United States."

						.oO Chris Oo.
--
 Christopher Lishka                  Smiling as the shit comes down
 Wisconsin Group, CERN               You can tell a man from what he has to say