Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rockets, Rows & Randoms

From: vickie@chinet.chi.il.us (Vickie Ann Mapes)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 01:55:00 -0700
Subject: Rockets, Rows & Randoms
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Vickie here.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not Charles Kestner, I don't
even know who he is! Our system was one wacky wanker earlier.

Ed says to I forgot her name but Hi anyway:
> Wow!  We know, of course, that the album is coming out soon,
> but you're about the first person who's heard it!

Jorn, Larry (Hernandez) and I heard this song last week over the
phone. I forgot that gaffa was down at the time. Jorn posted it
in Ecto and forgot to repost to gaffa. David Cross called from
London and played it for us. I *really* like it!! Even as tinny
as the sound was, it sounds to be really good fun.

------

Re: 3 songs in a row coolness:

I really do love how Symphony In Blue, In Search Of Peter Pan and Wow
flow together, but my favorite is IK, NSS & AD.

----

Larry Deluca (Hi guy! How's it going? Joe Turner popped his head up a
few months ago then disappeared again. Good to have you back!) says

>       I don't think there were any 8-track version of _The Kick Inside_)

Actually, there is a Kick Inside 8-track tape. It's one of the rarest of
the rare things. It was a Harvest (EMI America off-shoot) release.

I agree with you about Kirsty MacColl! I love her new album!

----

Re: "dieties" Boris says:

> Of course. I was just using a little hyperbole in a way. I don't expect
> anyone here to think she is somethine other than human. What I was refering
> to is the worshipful attitude that is a common emotion people have with
> rock stars that they admire a great deal. They become their idol.

OK, I understand. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think there
was anyone in Love-Hounds crazy enough to truly believe Kate is a diety.

> I am not saying that's bad or good, and I was certainly not trying
> to say that you are or are not one who believes that KT can do no
> wrong (sorry if it seemed I implied that).

Oh, I didn't get the impression you were talking about me. It's just that
it's a fine line to walk between posting what we think is wonderful
about Kate and trying to avoid being labled a "KCDNWoid"

> I like TSW as well, though, of course, you have read my opinions about
> some of her videos. Trash me for trashing her videos, by all means.
> A difference of opinions often times makes for interesting discussions.

I have no problems with you not liking some of the videos, believe it or
not. I like them (not all, though) but I come from a different perspective.
When Chris and I met, one of the reasons I was so eager to go over to his
house for the first time was because he had 2 videos. This was 1982, and
I had been a fan for a year and a half, and hadn't seen any videos at all.
I watched Wuthering Heights and The Man With The Child... and fell in love
with them. I had had mind videos of my own already, and they were quite
elaborate, but I wasn't disappointed with what I saw on the screen. Besides
seeing the videos, it was also the first time I'd seen Kate in action,
moving, with expressions on her face. After so long with just the album
cover photos, it was quite a wonderful experience to see her dancing.

Every new video as we found it was a thrill to see. The trouble we went
to to get videos one by one, sometimes chopped up, many times with
bad audio and video, was an adventure that would take pages to describe.
Not being critical, honestly, but when someone can just go into a store
and buy a compilation of Kate videos, there's no effort involved. We spent
so much time and effort tracking down videos that we were very appreciative
yet picky when we watched them. Every little nuance, lighting, color, style,
costume, facial expressions, we paid attention to everything. That's not
to say that we liked them all, but we had more reason to look for the good
qualities of each video. Also more reason to dislike the bad qualities.
In general though, we liked most of the early videos.

I had read about the video to Breathing 3 years before we finally tracked
down a copy. I knew it's every detail before I even saw it. I of course
knew the unborn child/nuclear war story, but I also knew details about
the making of the video, such as how they had trouble getting air into
the bubbles and the very real fear that Kate would suffocate.

We first saw There Goes A Tenner 2 years after it had been made, and we
saw it first in Los Angeles with IED (Andy Marvick, Boris) at a party.

We first saw Sat in Your Lap on MTV, when Duran Duran were guest VJs.
We were so suprised we just looked at each other, before both of us
scrambling to the VCR to pop a tape in. We watched that beginning-cut-off
version for a long time before Chris' mother sent us a Japanese Single
File Video from Japan (she taught English there) and were finally able
to see the start again.

I could go on and on, I guess what I'm getting at is that I/we like the
early videos much more (some more than is warranted, it's possible)
because they were hard to find and it was a major cause for celebration
when we found each one. I don't know what this has to do with anything,
but it's a little rationalization :-) as to why we like them. However I
do understand some problems they might cause others.

Vickie