Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313

From: lishka@cernvax.cern.ch (christopher lishka)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 01:50:15 -0700
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313
To: rec-music-gaffa@cernvax.cern.ch
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <9110141619.AA02003@echelon> henrik@echelon.UUCP (Larry DeLuca) writes:

>	6.  Kate Bush's early videos all share a common problem - she
>	was trained for the stage, and not for film.  Each medium has
>	its own rules - film with its closeups and intimacy requires much
>	more subtlety in acting than does the stage, where larger emphasis
>	in voice and movement are required to push an impression across
>	the footlights.  Further, she received mimetic training - already
>	a stylization - almost a parody - of straight acting.

A very good point, one that I had overlooked.  It sort of points out
that the makers of early videos were not trained in film production.

>	Most videos of the time share these problems.  Most movies from
>	the first 20 years of film share these problems (since there had
>	never been any films previously to guide people).  Watching the
>	MTV generation re-invent the acting wheel has been an interesting
>	and often amusing experience.

Yes, but even the over-acting style of the early film days can have
good effects.  Over-acting worked well with comedy, and some of the
great comedians of early film used it to great advantage (I am
thinking of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, etc.).

But it is true: watching video production re-invent a helluva-lot-of
film and acting techniques is very amusing!

>	8.  New Music: Kirsty MacColl's new album - _Electric Landlady_.
> [...]
>	"My Affair", after "Walking Down Madison"), and the album contains

Ahh, so Kirsty MacColl is the person who does "Walking Down Madison"!
I have been wondering about this, as the voice sounds a lot like Debby
Harry (to my ears, at least).  It is a great song (IMHO) that is
getting a good amount of air-play here in Switzerlan (on good old
Coleur-3 station, Meredith!).  Thanks for the pointer!

		From a night in a penthouse
		To a night on the A train
		It's not that far.
				-- From "Walking Down Madison"
				[from my memory, forgive any mistakes!]

--
 Christopher Lishka                  Smiling as the shit comes down
 Wisconsin Group, CERN               You can tell a man from what he has to say