Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New KaTe!

From: Steve Fagg <S.L.Fagg@bnr.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 01:39:38 -0700
Subject: New KaTe!
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

"From the age of 11, Elton John was my biggest hero.  I loved his music, had all
his albums, and I hoped one day I'd play the piano like him (I still do).

"When I was asked to be involved in this project and was given the choice of a
track it was like being asked 'Would you like to fulfill a dream?  Would you
like to be a Rocket Man?' ... yes, I would."

Thus writes KaTe in the booklet accompanying the album "Two Rooms - celebrating
the songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin" released today, Monday, 14th October,
1991 (in the UK) on Mercury (845 749-2 (CD), -4 (MC), -1 (LP)).  KaTe's version
of "Rocket Man" is the second of the sixteen tracks and is credited thus:

      Produced by: Kate Bush
      Engineered by: Del Palmer
      Charlie Morgan: Drums
      Del Plamer: Bass
      Alan Murphy: Guitars
      Kate Bush: Keyboards & Vocals
      Danny Spillane: Uillean Pipes
      Alistair Anderson: Concertina
      (p)1990 Novercia Limited, performed by Kate Bush courtesy of Sony Music
            Entertainment and EMI Records.

The accompanying photo of KaTe is the black and white John Carder Bush shot
showing KaTe resting her chin in the palms of her hands which was used on the
cover of the "This Woman's Work" single.

The song starts off with a slow, quiet, introduction sung by KaTe over what
sounds like a pipe organ (Fairlight sampled?) as far as "On such a timeless
flight".  And, yes, KaTe does sing "*she* packed my bag" and "I miss my *wife*"
taking on the viewpoint of the "Rocket *Man*" rather than doing a Tiffany.
Then the song launches into a reggae rhythm for the chorus.  This rhythm is
maintained for the rest of the song, though after the second chorus the Uillean
pipes come in (rather incongruously) over the top and remain until the end of
the track, which is just under five minutes long.

Some of the backing vocals sound very much as though KaTe has re-used a tape of
backing vocals from "Hounds of Love" (the song), and altogether "Rocket Man" is
a rather uncomfortable mixture as though the constituent parts hadn't been
allowed enough time to marinate and form a satisfying whole.  Throughout KaTe
sings with conviction, without a trace of a send-up, so why the cod reggae
feel? This does not seem to me to be a deliberately over-the-top romp like
"Ken", KaTe  seems to be taking the lyrics very seriously, but the instrumental
parts seem to  be on a different wavelength alogether.  On the basis of the
first dozen or so  listenings I'd have to say that this really doesn't work for
me, sorry KaTe!

Since KaTe appears to have retained control (via Novercia) of the recording, I
wouldn't be surprised to see "Rocket Man" turning up on the backside of a
single  from the next album sometime.  Unless you're a completist I couldn't in
all  conscience recommend that people rush out and buy this (full price) album
just  to get "Rocket Man", even though that's exactly what I did.  The rest of
the  tracks are extremely uneven in quality and I'd have to say that, at least
where  the songs with which I'm familiar are concerned, the tribute versions
can't hold  a candle to the originals.  Talking of candles, Sinead's quote (in
its entirety)  reads: "I can't believe no-one did 'Candle in the Wind'" (she
did "Sacrifice").

Trivia point (1): all the tracks are (p)1991 apart from KaTe's "Rocket Man" and
Phil Collins' "Burn Down the Mission" which are both (p)1990.

Trivia point (2): Dr. John Bush (presumably KaTe's father) is listed at the
back  of the booklet under the "With Special Thanks to:" heading, his is the
only name  I recognised.

--
Regards

Steve Fagg      ( S.L.Fagg@bnr.co.uk +44-279-429531 Ext 2437 )
BNR Europe Ltd., London Road, Harlow, Essex, CM17 9NA, UK

                *** Vita? Nole me vitae dicere! ***