Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Death of Emotion

From: nstar!bluemoon!bsbbs!mdc@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Melissa D. Caldwell)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1991 20:28:15 -0700
Subject: The Death of Emotion
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie) writes:

> Vickie here.
>
> First of all, why should Robyn get away with posting such a statement
> as she did? It was stated as if she had some kind of inside information,
> which she doesn't. It was stated as if it were true, which it isn't.
> I assume it was either a rumor, or a personal opinion. She didn't give
> any details as to which it was. Bad enough that she said it, but gaffa

On this point I agree with you.  When making a post such as Robyn's
regarding the tour, it should be said whether the statements are opinions
or fact.  If the remarks are fact, then the source of the information
should also be included.  However, it is presumptuous for anyone to
assume that Robyn does not have access to such information.

> a factual error, by all means, flame away. But if it concerns *my* emotions,
> what business is it of *anyone* to tell me I'm wrong? If no one wants to
> hear my emotions speaking, they can skip over what I say. If people feel
> that rec.music.gaffa is not the place to write from an emotional point-
> of-view, then what's wrong with e-mail? Gaffa is supposed to be a place
> where all points of views can be heard and lots of different subjects
> covered. Aren't emotional writings part of that? I guess not. Cynthia,
> Richard Caldwell, Jon Drukman, Larry Spence and others don't think so.
> Why do these people feel the *need* to discourage emotion? Why can't I
> complain about their lack of sensitivity? Without emotions, without
>
> No, I'll most likely never write another emotion-laden article for this
> newsgroup, so the emotion-stompers won't have anything to tear apart.
> in that her reaction showed a lot about her own character. Richard Caldwell
> wrote a fascinating and thought-provoking article about his own reactions
> to TSW. He ruined it by coming off sounding very cynical and bitchy and he
> even made it a point to refer to Jorn's article. No reason for it, he'd
> made his point. He just wanted to show us all what his steel-hardened
> heart looked like, I guess. It was fascinating too.

The above is complete hypocritical nonsense.  One moment you are whining
and complaining about "emotion stompers".  The next moment you are
guilty of some "emotion stomping" of your own.  You claim that certain
Katefans are insensitive.  Two of those above mentioned persons I know
personally, I am married to one of them.  Neither Richard nor Cynthia
are insensitive persons.  You can cry all you want about insensitive
"emotion stompers", but don't you dare turn around in the next breath and
say that my husband, Richard Caldwell, has a "steel hardened heart".  You
know absolutely nothing about him.  All Richard did was make a post which
differed from your opinions, and you attack him.  Not only do you
contradict yourself, your comments concerning Richard have no basis in
fact and are hypocritical and downright rude.  You accuse him of being
"bitchy, cynical" and insensitive.  I am demanding an apology for these
rude and unfeeling statements.

This post of yours which lambasts Richard, Cynthia and others is as
cold and insensitive as any others I have seen posted here.  You seem
to think that your feelings and emotions are the only valid ones.  Well,
get the hint... they are not.  If you think that you can continue to make
such nasty remarks without rebuttal, think again.  I will not allow such
statements about Richard to go unchallenged.  He is perfectly capable of
taking care of himself, but you need to be aware that I will tenaciously
defend him if further comments of this sort are made.

When you start spouting crap about "emotion stompers" you'd better take a
very good look at how insensitive you can be when responding to the posts
of others.

 Melissa Caldwell                         You want my reply?
 The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)         What was the question?
 {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!mdc           I was looking at the Big Sky
 mdc@bsbbs.UUCP