Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Death of Emotion

From: vickie@chinet.chi.il.us (Vickie Ann Mapes)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 02:28:00 -0700
Subject: Re: The Death of Emotion
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Chris here,

Richard Caldwell posted:
> Oh please.  You people are every bit as cynical as anyone
> else here.  Yeah, you talk sweetness and light and pour out your
> hearts for all of the horrible cynics to smirk at.  But underneath
> all the sugar frosting you're just as prone to questioning people's
> motives, intentions or nature as anyone here.

   One symptom of an advanced case of cynicism, is to ascribe everyone
else's motives to cynicism. Misery loves company.

> You doubt the people who look at things from a fundamentally different
> point of view.  For you it's not possible that they are perfectly
> reasonable people who simply see things differently, they have to
> be anti-hero cynics who are courting some sort of fashion.

  That "fundamentally different point of view" seems to consist of taking
an opposing viewpoint, no matter how strange, and defending it to the
death. You are in danger of becoming tiresome and predictable.

> It's easy to have a god as a hero.  They're perfect.  You don't
> have to account for their faults.  Try having a human being as a
> hero for a change.  You'll find it not quite as easy, but much
> more rewarding.

   R-i-i-ight. This, from the guy who took me to task for daring to tell
Kate (through Lisa of the KBC) what I thought of the Box Set. _How_ many
different ways do you want to have it, Mr. Caldwell? _I_ was treating her
like a human who was party to a bad business decision, and _you_ reacted
as if I had piddled on your idol. A _little_ consistency, please!

                            Chris Williams of
                                Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                    katefans@chinet.chi.il.us

# "If I'm going to argue with you I must take up a contrary position." #
# "Yes, but that isn't just saying 'no it isn't'!"                     #
# "Yes it is!"                                                         #
# "No it isn't!"                                     --- Monty Python  #