Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What matters?

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1991 21:06:17 -0700
Subject: Re: What matters?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Kjetil writes:

>The original question *had* been answered, it was short, concise, excellent.
>I was just having a poke at Vickie for needless (IMNSHO) nit-picking.

In other words, you admit that you were insulting Vicki for something that
*you* don't think is worthwhile.  You feel that her interests are stupid
and worthless and of no interest to people of your obviously towering
intellectual prowess.

Vicki asked a simple question of a sort that seems to be fairly common on
.gaffa--she wanted more information on how a sound was "made."  For some
reason that I *still* don't understand, you decided that this gave you the
right to be rude to her and anyone else who might have found an answer to that
question in the least bit interesting.

If something doesn't interest you, that's perfectly fine.  But if a question
such as Vicki's was asked, you must assume that the person who asked the
question was *interested* and was curious about an answer.  Such a
question would not be asked to waste bandwidth or to waste anyone's time.
It was asked for a reason.  Just who is it that made you arbiter of what is
or isn't interesting, what is or isn't nit-picking?

>Sound is sound.

The way an artist uses sound can tell a lot about them and/or the way
they like to work.  It also changes the way their music is perceived.
Whether something is sampled or synthesized (say, the drone in the background
of "The Handsome Cabin Boy") *is* important to some people.  Why be
impolite and force your tautology upon others?

>Hey, what is *your* problem?

My problem is that you were rude, not to mention arrogant and condescending.

>PS. I don't want to be drawn into a flame war about this, even if it
>looks like Jeff has started one already.

BZZZT!  Wrong answer.  We (Vicki and myself, and I don't remember if
anybody else said anything) were having a pleasant discussion when you
jumped in and pretty much told us we were stupid for caring about it in
the first place.  Everything I've written has been a response to that.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |