Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What matters?

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1991 18:45:07 -0700
Subject: Re: What matters?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

In article <9110110051.AA22644@lewhoosh.umd.edu> jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.EDU (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:

> Vicki wrote:
> >>    It's a Fairlight making the sound, right?
> Kjetil Torgrim Homme, in a fit of pedantic humorlessness responds:
> >No, it's your LOUDSPEAKERS that are making the sound. *sigh*
>
> WOW!  You're BRILLIANT!  When the original poster asked what the sound at
> the beginning of "Army Dreamers" is, I should have answered "Your loudspeakers,
> you dummy!  Who CARES what the made the sound that appears on the recording?"

For your convenience, I made a followup to the following:

> Chris (not mine, though I'm sure he's a fine Chris indeed) asks:
>
> >> What is the instrument at the _very_ start of Army Dreamers (and
> >> throughout the song).  It consists of two beats, but I can't identify it.
>
> Jeff answers:
>
> > It's the bolt of a rifle.
>
> It's a Fairlight making the sound, right?
> =
> Vickie

The original question *had* been answered, it was short, concise, excellent.
I was just having a poke at Vickie for needless (IMNSHO) nit-picking.

> In case you hadn't noticed, that's the kind of thing that lots of people
> care about on this newsgroup.  Would the difference matter if it was a sample
> or if it was a synthesized sound that happened to sound like a rifle bolt?
> Or would you completely ignore it?

I would of course ignore it. Please tell me what effects knowing the
difference should have for my listening experience. Although I know
Yello uses a synthesizer to play the guitar, I couldn't care less.
Sound is sound.

> If this is a problem, if it offends your delicate sensibilities,
> unsubscribe.

Hey, what is *your* problem?

> BTW, Meredith, I *loved* your KaTe "quote" to Jay about slamming the door.

Ditto. :)

Kjetil T.	- "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
		   But I have promises to keep,
		   And miles to go before I sleep,
		   And miles to go before I sleep."

PS. I don't want to be drawn into a flame war about this, even if it
looks like Jeff has started one already.