Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

What matters?

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1991 17:51:20 -0700
Subject: What matters?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Vicki wrote:

>>    It's a Fairlight making the sound, right?

Kjetil Torgrim Homme, in a fit of pedantic humorlessness responds:

>No, it's your LOUDSPEAKERS that are making the sound. *sigh*

WOW!  You're BRILLIANT!  When the original poster asked what the sound at
the beginning of "Army Dreamers" is, I should have answered "Your loudspeakers,
you dummy!  Who CARES what the made the sound that appears on the recording?"
Silly me for trying to be helpful.  I'll have to remember the "proper" method
for handling these things in the future.

Meredith?  Those _aren't_ doors in KaTe's house that are being slammed in
GOoMH, that sound is your LOUDSPEAKERS!

>Who cares how it was done? The sound is the sound of the bolt of a
>rifle, no matter how it was recorded and/or edited.

In case you hadn't noticed, that's the kind of thing that lots of people
care about on this newsgroup.  Would the difference matter if it was a sample
or if it was a synthesized sound that happened to sound like a rifle bolt?
Or would you completely ignore it?

Chris wanted information on the 'source' of a sound effect.  He got that
information.  A further discussion about the song and the method with which
the effect was recorded and playedback ensued.  Therefore it mattered to
someone.  If this is a problem, if it offends your delicate sensibilities,
unsubscribe.

BTW, Meredith, I *loved* your KaTe "quote" to Jay about slamming the door.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |