Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What matters?

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 02:51:47 -0700
Subject: Re: What matters?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Jeff writes:
> [...] your obviously towering intellectual prowess. [...]

For the record, I'm obviously intellectually no match for you love-hounds.

> [stuff about me being rude, insulting Vicky, being condescending etc. ]
Methinks it doesn't take much to tick you off. Let Vicky decide when
she should feel hurt, I don't think she needs you to be her big
brother. I did not intend to hurt anyone's feelings, but my sense of
judgement may be influenced by growing up in a tough environment :)

*No one* holds the whole truth and nothing but the truth, except
perhaps subjectively speaking.

That said, let me try to explain why I made the post in the first
place.  The synthesizer is a special instrument. It can be used as an
instrument in its own right, or it can be used as a substitute for
others. Some people view it as a goal in itself to use synthesizers
for everything. I.e. I have a sampler where the blurb extols the
natural sound of the synthesized guitars, drums and saxophones. On the
other hand, there are some who regard the syntesizer as evil
regardless of how it is put to use (heavy metal fans often come in
this category). When I saw Vicky's post, this black-white view of
synthesizers sort of clicked in. Yeah, I know, thinking that Vicky
should be thinking along either of these lines is silly, knowing how
broadminded Vicky is. Sorry about that.

I'll admit one other thing: I have a record with Altiplano (Chilenean
group, plays a lot of flutes etc.). On one of the songs they use all
sorts of weird instruments to make the sound of rain, wind, and
bird-calls. While I don't think my enjoyment of their music would be
any less if they used a synthesizer, my admiration for the production
would be considerably less.

About the kryptik acronyms: Half the fun is to remember what it stands
for :) Quick, what's WL?

The downside of this is that newcomers will feel lost, but all the
more incentive for getting all her CD's, right?

Kjetil T. 	(tsiL gniddeW eht saw rewsna ehT)